Has a combined AirPort/BT card been announced?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Jan 22, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

When I was at the Apple Store today, I overheard the employees discussing a soon-to-be-released combined AirPort/Bluetooth card, made originally for the Mac mini.

While I try to keep on top of announcements and rumors, I've missed this one. Am I the last one to hear of it?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Hmm.. nothing I've ever heard of. Sounds interesting, though.

edit: I think combining the ariport and blueooth card would be an excellent idea. Not only would it save money, but it be very convenient to add on after purchase (assuming bluetooth is still a BTO option).

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The Mac mini seems to use two separate modules for BT and AE according to the service manual that has been floating around.

4. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I thought so as well, but they were saying that it would be ~$100 for both, a definite cost savings, and would not only be easier to install but would end up helping the brick-and-mortar Stores by removing the requirement that those who want built-in BT order online (the minis are the only current exception to that). I asked after I overheard them, and since I spend a lot of time in there and have helped out closing some sales as an "unbiased" source when people were looking, they tend to be more open with me.

Of course, for all I know, they were misinformed or slightly crazed after today's feeding frenzy. All I know is they advised me to wait for the card if I didn't need AirPort or BT shortly. If I keep my mini (translation: if work will pay for it; alternate translation: if pigs fly), I'll wait to see if they were on to something.

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

To clarify: there's definitely a separate BT module now; they were claiming that an upcoming card would combine them and be cheaper than buying both now.

6. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

This would be a welcome addition. As it is, Apple's Airport card is embarassingly expensive (even by Apple standards :eek: ) compared to Wintel equivalents.

7. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just looked at the mini service manual.

The "card" isn't a "card" at all - it's a board with the AirPort Extreme card and BT module pre-installed. Oh well....

8. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw