Has any one bought a movie from iTMS yet?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    It`s been bout 24 hours since the movie store was launched. Has anyone yet purchased one? Ot no one finds them worth it? What if there hasnt been even a single movie download yet. Who knows Steve might be sitting in front of his PB(of course G5) since yesterday`s keynote waiting for atleast one downlaod to occur:D :D .

In case you have bought one please tell us bout the quality of the movie compared to DVDs and how much time it took you download. And if possible comparison with an Amazon downloaded movie(though I`d love to hear no one bought anything from Amazon)

And in case no one has yet, please have pity on Apple and buy atleast one movie for the sake of Lord Steve:p .

EDIT: OOps. I just remembered Amazon doesnt offer Unbox on OSX yet.
  2. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    I downloaded a movie last night: "Duets" (love that movie). I only watched a little bit, but it was VERY close to CD quality. Sound was very good too. I never tried Amazon's new service...
  3. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    Thank God. Steve can go to bed now.:D

BTW you say it`s CD quality:confused: . I`d expected more than that. Too bad.
  4. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    I download POTC, wishing I'd gone for Good Will Hunting or Shakespeare in Love now, love those films. The quality is pretty awesome, a lot better than expected and considering the file size it's damn impressive. It's only 80 pixels off DVD quality apparently, and you can tell, looks great.

There's also chapters which I'm loving, makes a huge difference.

Generally the Movies section is a hell of a lot better than I'd been expecting.
  5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    He obviously meant DVD quality.

Anyway, I'm really interested to see how the movies purchases take off. I was a bit weary about TV shows, but as you can see those took off instantly.
  6. jholzner macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    Me too. I was suprised to learn they have sold 45 million of them in under a year. I may reconsider the movie store once I get a new Mac and the iTV. It would be very nice to just browse the movies and then select one and play (assuming I've already downloaded it). Much easher than messing with DVDs.
  7. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003

you know i was considering it, but i'm kinda mad about the quality issues. Basically i know that eventally, probably when iTV comes out, they will up the quality even more. And i don't want to invest in quality that will change, i already feel burned by the shows i bought. i think they should let you dl what you purchased in higher quality.

that said once its where it needs to be this guy (steve) will have shut down, netflix, cable companies, blockbuster, killed all physical movie and dvd sales, closed theaters, and factories that produce dvds, as well as dvd players. But thats way down the road.
  8. Ohmeohmom macrumors member

Feb 22, 2006
    I downloaded Vallant for my son. I thought the quality was very good. I intend on downloading more. Steve's gonna love me:)
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    So were most of those movies in the $9.99 category, then? I haven't installed iTunes 7 yet.
  10. bendejo macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2006
    I have already set up the rough-equivalent of iTV... iMac with DVI output (wired, not wireless) to my 46" HDTV and audio through my home theater system... front row and the apple remote lets me flip through TV shows from the couch, and the quality of the downloaded TV shows was basically the same as when I would record 4 hours of TV at LP on a DVD. I'm very excited by the movie option. I will no doubt spend more money (impulse buying of TV shows has been quietly chipping away at my wallet) but as more library movies get added I can easily see choosing to drop $10 to own a movie that I can watch on my TV whenever I want and as often as I want as opposed to spending $4 at Hollywood Video and having to deal with getting it and returning it and all that jazz or spending a monthly fee for Netflix, even in those months when there aren't any movies I really want to rent... It won't be for everyone, my wife doesn't rewatch movies ever and totally does not understand why I would want to, but I think there is a substantial enough market to make it work.

With all that being said, it's too bad for people like my wife that there isn't a rental option like Amazon's.
  11. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    does anyone know if the 5G ipods will have a higher video out put because of the increase quality in movies from TV shows? Or is that a hardware limitataion of the 5G ipod?
  12. mechamac macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2003
    I'm DLing The Ladykillers now (and indeed watching it almost right away as Steve promised) and the quality is better than I expected. Looks very much like a DVD playing fullscreen on my 17" iMac. MIGHT be a little softer, but not nearly enough to matter. Much sharper & more vibrant than a DVD run through Handbrake. Looks like it should take 40 minutes to finish the DL of 1.17 gigs. Once they get the selection up I should be a regular impulse-buying customer! (and bring on movie downloads that include free short making-of features and other inevitable goodies)