Has anybody bought a Mac form an Amazon reseller?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dieselg4, Sep 3, 2004.

1. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

2. gear02 macrumors member

Would you buy a laptop off ebay? If so, then go ahead, but do your research. Just because it's on amazon.com doesn't mean they're safe.

But for me, I liken those types of listings as auction or ebay type of listings.

3. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Be careful!

First check out what type of service they use to close the deal. If the use an escrow service, make sure they use www.escrow.com
    Don't use any other. I have been reading for a while on frauds and all. And their are different escrow services, mainly they and a letter before or after the word escrow. i almost got sucked into using one that is called escrowse.com
    I would suggest to read on internet fraud before making the decision of buying something for an awesome price. It will help you save money in the long run.

Hope this help!

4. Romulan macrumors member

I almost got sucked into the same thing with escrowse.com. Luckily, right before I was about to buy, I decided to do a search on the site. Bottom line: do your research and know that if it's too good to be true it probably is. You can get sucked in real fast, so watch out.

5. Romulan macrumors member

It may also be possible that someone hacked into that sellers account. :eek:

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Probably a scam

Notice.... She says to contact her before buying. That's a typical scam on eBay. She probably wants people to go outside the normal system. I figure it's a bogus price to intice people.

Seems too good to be true. I would have been interested... It just looks bogus.

I emailed asking the terms... I'll post them once she responds. :rolleyes:

7. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Run! Here's the email sent to me... Stay away!

Here is the email they sent me. Totally bogus.

Hello,
    We are Media World ,we have a ShopStore here in our place and now we are able to sold a OverStock which we need to sold this week.So this is the resoun what we sell for so low price. But the laptop & accesories are new in the retail box! Comes with one year international Transferable Warranty thru Manufacturer(Ordered from US.)The waranty will start when you'll opend the laptop box and there you'll found a waranty certificat .
    To proof you that we are a honest sales service, here you have the details how we will send the goods first and after you'll check our products we will have the payment.
    The payment will be done after you'll send us your full shipping detailes , phone# , fax number , after I'll have these details the delivery will be done - COD - UPS Third Party Service, they will check the goods, will make a UPS Invoice , after that they will send you this invoce , and in few minuts the delivery will be procesed , as soon as it is procesed they will let you know how you need to complete the deal .
    So after we have the goods you want to by at UPS ,they will contact you and willlet you know how you need to pay for these products. Also we agree topay for UPS Package insurance and shipping,this for the resount that you'll pay same money fees to arrange the payment.
    After they will have the founds, you'll receive the goods in 24-48hrs , after they will give you the goods and you check them , they will contact us and we will receive teh founds from UPS, so this is what we need to follow to end the deal together. The delivery will be done from Milano/Italy,here is our office ShopStore.
    We think that all will work very well and fast if you are a honest buyer.
    Hope that we will can work and you'll can enjoy of your product.
    With respect Carla Angeloti

8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Amazon has a garuntee, they handle all money. If you don't receive a product, they will refund your money, and then go after the seller. I know, i sold a PS2 on amazon, it got lost in shipping. Luckily i got insurance and payed amazon back. But its a good system. Buying and selling is safe, i do it all the time.

9. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Yeah, as long as you use amazon. but I have seen on amazon people that still want to use other methods, not all sellers on amazon use amazon to handle transactions. I remember looking at some G5 with an unbelievable prices, when the person contacted me she wanted to use escrowse.com
    Still, the best thing to do is to contact the seller ask for all the info on how the transaction will go. research that and then decide.

My opinion is, this will be a scam. If it's not then my apologies for wrongful jugdement.

10. dieselg4 thread starter macrumors regular

dieselg4

Wow sounds very shady. Thanks for finding this out.

11. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

That's the point... They are not going to go thru Amazon. The money exchanges hands externally (more like you send the money and get a P-P-P Powerbook. www.p-p-p-powerbook.com or nothing) My guess is they would cancel your order if you tried to buy it through Amazon.

12. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

WOW! I'll give her a chance though... If she can re-compose the terms to ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE then I'll entertain the notion of screwing with her and send a P-P-P-Powerbook VERSION TWO (oooh, ahh)! ;)

Seriously, if these scammers had half a brain, they would hire a 10 year old off of a Yahoo chat room to type up these terms. I have absolute confidence that anyone who passed the 1st grade could type better.

13. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Why? It's obviously a scam. You wouldn't send her anything. She's the one doing the sending. You only send your money.