Has anybody had any bad experiences with the 11 inch macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macnerd123, Nov 7, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

besides the screen issues...:)

2. macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

When I bring it out for the first time, everyone goes O_O and asks to see it.

3. macrumors member

NOPE! My only regret is i have the 4 g ram model and donesnt seem faster than the 2 , oh well, what screen issue? It really is not an issue like anything in life you'll get used to it.

4. macrumors newbie

I have the 11.6 64GB 4GB and no real issues at all. I use it mostly for Internet research, email, bill paying and working on my novel using Scrivener. I have not seen an instance where I have used more then half the available memory. I love the portability and how quick it comes to life when opening the lid to work. I am very pleased.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

The issue where the screen goes black on wake up and the vertical multi-colored lines. I don't mean that the screen is smaller. I agree, that is not an issue.

6. macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I have no screen issues, battery life isnt as good as I'd hoped but not a deal breaker. Otherwise it's everything I wanted and more

ram doesnt make your laptop faster. It's designed to not be noticed. It only helps prevent it from slowing down when you are power using cpu intense apps and multiple app tasking

7. macrumors newbie

MRidge

No issues with mine yet, except that I can't keep this machine out of my hands!! :)

8. macrumors 6502

1BadMac

That is not an entirely accurate statement. RAM does come into play when multiple applications are opened, but performance degradation would only come into play if and when the amount of RAM requested exceeds that available and the system has to page out inactive items to slower disk space. It has little if anything to do with "power using CPU". You can have a very intensive CPU application and it can use little if any RAM.

At any rate, for what the 11" is designed for, you probably can't go wrong with 2GB, unless you blatantly try to use it for something that you wouldn't use on a larger machine with the same specs (i.e Photoshop, video editing, etc)

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think I should get the 1.4 GHz model with 128GB flash storage and 4GB of memory? I will use word processing, internet, itunes, ichat, and rarely iLife.:apple:

10. macrumors 65816

1.4 is enough.. go with the 128gb like i did :apple::);)

do the unboxing at apple store if you are buying in-store then check for the creak sound by pressing the (black plastic)

11. macrumors 68000

silverblack

For the apps you described, you'll be fine with the 1.4/2GB model. Whether or not you need the 64 vs. 128 GB FS will depend on how much media files you plan to keep on your MBA. I have large 1080p mkv files on my MBA, and so I need the 128GB FS. Otherwise, 64GB would have been sufficient.

12. macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

No issues with the machine itself, but their owners are a cranky lot.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Does it run 1080p videos smoothly?

14. macrumors 68000

silverblack

Yes, but you'll need FLEX (not VLC), regardless of the amount of RAM that you have.

15. thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think I could use it as my primary computer. To replace my late 2007 macbook

16. silverblack, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

macrumors 68000

silverblack

17. macrumors 68030

einmusiker

it's MUCH more powerful than your macbook

18. thread starter macrumors regular

Let me ask this. Would it be worth it to spend 200 dollars extra for the 13 inch model with 4GB just to get the 1.86 GHz processor. I don't care about the screen sizes and besides that the RAM would be the same. Is there a difference between the 1.4 GHz processor and 1.86 GHz? :confused:

19. macrumors 68000

well, i use the base 11" but upgraded the ram to 4GB.

one thing i can say is it's silent, it's even cold like the iPad, and much much better than my old rev B 1.86ghz with 128GB SSD.

the rev B i got still has some keneltask issue where this new 11" is dead silent.

20. macrumors 65816

if you are going to use this as your primary go with 13" if secondary just buy the 11"

21. wkw
    macrumors 6502

wkw

I had a bad experience. I went and looked at one at best buy. I felt bad that I couldn't buy one

22. thread starter macrumors regular

as a primary computer?:confused:

23. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I've had no issues with it so far, and I'm using it as my primary computer with no regrets. I did have to go out and buy an SD card reader =/ No problems with the screen size or processor. I don't demand too much from my computers.

24. thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you say this? If it is the screen size, that does not matter to me. I am young and have fine eyes:eek:

25. macrumors 6502a

Tomple

So far so good