Has anybody used a TabletPC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny_w, Jan 22, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

Feel free to move this if it is in the wrong forum. I realize this is not about a Mac (I already have/had several), but I'm curious about Tablet PC's. A friend at work showed me his Gateway CX200 (1 generation down from the current model) and there was a lot to like, other than the extreme weight (that thing is h-e-a-v-y). But it is a full-fledged laptop convertible, so it is going to be heavier than a slate tablet.

What got me interested was that I need a laptop for the occasional road trip (my iMac does me fine at home), and the tablet functions would be an extra to play with at other times. It's available rather cheaply right now ($900), but I would like to hear other people's opinions. Are there others I should be looking at (available at or below that price point)? I had been looking at a black C2D MB, but in the end it is just a laptop, with no other functions. I'm in no hurry, but am looking at my options.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I have a Fujitsu tablet (convertible). It's pretty nice, not heavy at all. It's a 12 incher, which is perfect. I use it to take notes at school, which works well. Anything specific you want to know? It's awesome, but if you really aren't going to use the tablet functionality often, then maybe you should just stick with a macbook.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

No, I don't really have anything specific that I would need a tablet for, I just wanted to maximize the investment in a laptop by getting more out of it if possible. The Gateway is quite large at 14.1", with a CD/DVD drive, so it is of course heavy. I understand that most of the 12" tablets are much lighter, and often don't have an optical drive. Which model do you have?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

T4020, about a year old now. Mine does have the capability for an optical drive. However, to suite my needs best, I opted for a second battery (meaning 2 in at once).