Has anyone actually gotten a 160GB Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Oct 20, 2006.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Hey all,

My cousin plans to switch to the mini from an old P4. However he wants a large HDD as the previous 80GB isnt just cutting it. However, the Apple store states a 2-4 week wait.

I wanted to know if people actually waited that long or if Apple, as usua,l is just trying to cover their asses.

PS is it me or did MR change the fonts in their forums??

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I know this is not really your question, but is he sure he wants the mini? Seems to me that you get a whole lot more for $125 extra...

Mac Mini:
    1.83 Ghz core duo
    160 GB HD
    1 GB RAM
    64 MB shared graphics (GMA 950)
    Superdrive
    no KB/mouse
    no screen
    Total: $1075

17" iMac:
    2.0 Ghz core 2 duo
    160 GB HD
    1 GB RAM
    128 MB x1600 Radeon graphics
    Superdrive
    keyboard and mighty mouse
    17" LCD
    Total: $1200

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

He doesnt want to throw away the KB/Mouse/Display..he just wants to switch boxes. He also doesnt like white

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well, he could sell the new KB/mouse and get $50-100 back, and use his current display alongside the iMac for a dual display setup. But I guess he'd be stuck with the white. ;)

It just seems to me that the mini is really not a good value compared to an iMac, even for people who DO have a KB/mouse/display.

5. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

Well with a white monitor, you'll have a perfect canvas for graffiti!!!

[​IMG]

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I never considered getting the large internal hard drive. When I need a lot of disk space I attach an external drive via the firewire connector. As large as 160GB seems, if a user purchases a computer with hard disk space as a high priority, you will find that even 160GB won't be enough and you'll be looking for external RAID arrays anyway.

7. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I second this opinion. Mac Mini's use laptop hard drives, which are SLOW and EXPENSIVE, when compared to full-size external drives.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Yes, get an external HD, it is cheaper than Apple's upgrade, and you get a lot more space.;)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As an example, I just bought one of these. I added my own HD, but, for what Apple changres to upgrade to the 160GB drive (i.e., an 80GB upgrade), you can buy a 320GB version of the miniStack. And it adds FW and USB ports.

There are other options as well... all of which are better for the price than the 160GB upgrade.

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

11. reflex macrumors 6502a

They do tend to take up less space than full-size external drives, though.

12. Brian W macrumors newbie

I ordered a 120GB Mini today because of the 2-4 week delay on the 160GB. Despite the fact that I have 750GB of external space I wanted as much internal space as I could get. I expect that the performance of the internal drive will be best for my DV production tasks.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have the same LaCie mini you have (as well as the miniStack).

The LaCie has, as all LaCies do, an excellent case, although, to be honest, the plastic of the minStack looks the same as the presumed aluminum of the LaCie. The LaCie has an LED that exactly mimics the Mac mini, as opposed to the miniStack, which has a blue LED at the bottom.

However, given the price differential between the miniStack and the LaCie hub/drive, I'd pick the miniStack, which is even cheaper if you buy your own HD and which is a great case - but, then again, so is the LaCie.

Given the lack of FW800 or eSATA on the mini, that's probably true... but using a second drive is often faster than having the main drive, which is also tasked with handling virtual memory, other application fetches, etc., be responsible for your DV files as well.

I think it's a toss-up, personally. USB2.0 is likely slower, but a FW400 external? It might be faster than a larger internal.

14. JAT macrumors 603

The external is faster. I have a 120GB Mini and a 400GB Ministack. The external is my main drive, including OSX. I only use the internal for Windows via BootCamp, and it has an OSX partition for maintenance and other issues.

Who on earth would run a HDD via USB on a Mac?

15. Brian W macrumors newbie

Very interesting!

I have a 20GB USB 2.0 Firefly that I carry between home and work, but having used that I would never connect high-performance desktop HDDs via USB. That being said, there sure are a lot of USB enclosures available...

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Run the internal SATA to an external? :D

H4X!

17. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

So you guys suggest an external drive. Those things seem like extra weight though.

18. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

One of those ones that fits under the Mac mini doesn't increase footprint.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

20. JAT macrumors 603

Well, there isn't any 2.5" drive over 160GB. Since many people are exceeding that amount with ease these days, external storage is a must if you have a Mini or a laptop. Plan ahead for your space needs. But the MiniStack does disappear under the Mini itself if vertical height isn't a problem.

Or just get a Mac Pro. :D