Has anyone been paying attention to CES 2007?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevento, Jan 11, 2007.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

It was going on at the same time as MWSF and they showed PCs that ship with Vista rather than having to upgrade.
    I love Vista's version of the app switcher.
    Another thing I miss about Windows is that it's beautiful. The visual appeal is incredible.
    Vista has improved leaps and bounds over XP.
    This video is the unvieling of Vista-shipping PCs. Its not very informative, but it shows the eye pleasing beauty.
    Georgoes, but it takes a little while to load.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/videos/ceshardwarekeynote_low.asx

Oh and before everyone wants to call me a MS paid troll, i'm just a college freshman who's used both macs and pcs and had INFORMED opinions.
    i bought a macbook and it has its strong points but i miss things about Widnows.
    if you look at vista without that "mac is the best thing since sliced bread and always will be" attitude that apple corp has injected into you then you might learn something
    saying mac is better than pc or vice versa is like saying boxers are better than briefs.
    neither is better, whichever you prefer is better for you.

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Some attention, not much. New cameras (a Casio ultra-slim with a 7x zoom caught my eye the most), 4Gb SDHC class 6 cards, and a few other goodies :)

3. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

We don't think that you are a MS paid troll....
    we just think that MS has footed your college bill in exchange for your post (and soul?)
    Did these "informed" opinions in which you speak of come from the cue cards of a Redmond employee?
    and, omg of course boxers are better than briefs
    the breathing room is incredible

DISCLAIMER: this post should be read with a good sense of humor
    :)

4. Quboid macrumors 6502

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I second that :cool: nothing worse than suffocating...

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Has MS's originality sunk so low that they really need to rip off the OS X welcome video?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I presume he's the little Greek guy they ship with each Vista system to help set everything up. Right?

Or Maybe a new International version of MS Bob?

B

8. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

Windows XP... but Vista to a greater degree.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hint: It's spelled gorgeous.

Perhaps your browser of choice doesn't support spell checking? ;)

B

10. danny_w macrumors 601

The most important thing that I have seen so far from CES is that LG is announcing their hybrid HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player. There was some talk about this before but it was supposedly canceled, but now it must be on again. Too pricey for me, but at least you don't have to make a choice now.

11. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

no, camino doesn't but i like it more than safari.

anways look at these aspects of windows vista
    http://www.showusyourwow.com/flash.aspx?l=en-us
    look at the new Window Media Player. iTunes is better for downloading music and putting it on iPods and other MP3 players, but WMP is better for everythig else that goes along with playing media
    (for istance how come apple dvd player cant do tracking?)

Windows Photo Gallery is beautiful and moe functional than iPhoto

the vista software for editing videos likely will not be as good as iMovie

IE 7 is far better than Safari, but that's not saying much.
    looks like the vista version of the dock is better than osx
    yes windows has copied widgets, and called them gadgets, and you can create your own.

read this except about ReadyBoost and Super Fetch:

Windows Vista is designed to help make you more productive as you work with your PC throughout the day with new features like Sleep, Windows SuperFetch, Windows ReadyBoost, and Windows ReadyDrive.

Windows SuperFetch helps manage memory to get the most out of available RAM while Windows ReadyBoost helps make PCs more responsive by using flash memory devices (like USB thumb drives) to boost performance. Windows ReadyDrive takes advantage of new hybrid hard disks—hard disks with integrated flash memory—to help improve battery life, performance, and reliability. With Windows Vista, your system is ready when you are.[/COLOR

go to this site (remember to leave that mac-is-awesome-windows-sucks attitude behind).
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/experiences/default.mspx

i thought i was going to have to give up my widgets when i switched

12. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Windows XP is gorgeous?!?:eek:

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Regardless of what you said...

Macs are better than PC
    and boxers are definitely better than briefs

Enjoy shooting blanks in the future :rolleyes:

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

The "wow" sucks. Went to the link, crapped out on the Windows Photo Gallery. After clicking the "next" link ONCE.

Not to bash Vista, but if Microsoft can't even get a demo designed to wean people away from Mac working on the Mac in Flash, I wonder what they've been doing with their OS?

I've seen MS' hand, and it sucks if you don't have the latest and greatest. Waiting to see Leopard.

15. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

While I somehow can see where you're going with this, your preferred method of convincing is not helping me to see the great innovations that you claim Vista has.
    The flipping expose function is quite useless, yes it is. It's nothing more than a 3D representation of multitasking and does not help you get an overview like Exposé does.
    WMP has always been inferior and I have never used it. Instead I use Media Player classic to keep it simple. None of your links provided did give me much info on why the new mediaplayer was superior to anything else on the market.
    In all honesty, you need to back up your claims with some elaborated reasons, since your statement :" IE7 is way better than Safari" doesn't do it for me. It only reminds of my own experiences with Internet Explorer which are not that good to put i bluntly.

Basically, making a thread about Vista being superior in some aspects to OS X needs carefully explained arguments, especiallly when you are posting on a mac fanatic happy board. A link to a video that mimics the mac welcome screen with product placement and showing no functionality of Vista whatsoever is only making me lean to the other side quite frankly.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Protesting too much, methinks? ;) Sorry, but so far everything you've said is either misleading or wrong. Even accounting for differences in taste, nobody who wasn't coerced in some way would say that XP is "georgoes". (I'd say "hideously ugly" would be more accurate, but if I was more forgiving I might say "not overly offensive as long as you squint and don't look too close".) If your trolling wasn't paid by MS, then it's even more sad....

--Eric

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Photocopied innovation or otherwise let's just give Bill some credit where it is due, despite its crappiness, Microsoft's software did provided an open platform and promoted a lot of innovation in the PC industry. Likewise the PC software industry is a lot more vibrant and healthy than the Mac software industry.

The figures speak for themselves.

If Macs are the dominant platform what do you think computers today would be like? They will all be welded shut with every single piece of semiconductor in it soldered down.

Apple... proprietary everything. Not like that is a good way to go about things either.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Didn't know that apple corp made computers :rolleyes: