Has anyone 'Built' there own iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iCantwait, May 25, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i have been looking for spare iPod parts on ebay and have been surprised to see how many OEM iPod parts avaliable.
    I have seen:
    Backplate
    Faceplate (all gens)
    click wheel
    Logic-board
    Battery
    LCD screen
    Headphone/holdswitch
    HDD (yet i would put in a 16gb CF card in if backplate says 20gb or under)

i have seen everything but that little white rectangle on the dock connector.

I want to have a go at it, anyone else tried? successful?

2. macrumors member

I'm guessing it'll cost you more than getting an already-built iPod. It's like a car: buying the whole car costs less than buying the parts individually.

3. macrumors 6502

buy a working one from ebay and replace whats needed, but still may be pricey overall.

4. macrumors 65816

fabian9

I have fixed a broken ipod mini about a year ago... by the time I was done with it it was pretty much like buying parts to build my own one.

I had to replace the hard drive, the small connectors, the click wheel, the logic board and the battery. so after i was done the only parts left from my originial ipod were the display and the case. Why go through all this trouble? I really liked the ipod mini and i didn't want to replace it. but then the classic came out and i fell in love... lol.

when you buy ipod parts on ebay you have to be very careful. i had a couple of parts which were supposed to be working but they weren't.

in conclusion: I'd buy a new one rather than try to fix an old one or try to build one from ebay parts. :)

5. macrumors newbie

I know this doesn't answer your question but if you did manage to build the ipod would you be able to get the software to run it? I dare say apple don't have downloadable ipod OS on their website :confused:

6. macrumors 65816

Dustman

If it's all Apple parts, then in theory it should be recognized as an iPod by iTunes, which would let you "restore" the firmware.

7. macrumors Core

alphaod

Part of buying an iPod is the whole experience that goes along with it, as well as the warranty. If your DIY iPod dies, it will costly to repair it.