has anyone connected a third monitor to a MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by breadz, Aug 26, 2006.

1. breadz macrumors newbie

2 is simply not enough monitor space nowadays!

i need 1 screen for a terminal and DB visualization, another for programming space, and another for youtube. lol

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you want three external screens or two plus the internal?

3. breadz thread starter macrumors newbie

opps, forgot to mention that.. i have a macbook pro and want 2 more external monitors. ive been reading that the dvi output may be able to split the signal into 2 thingymagigies, thus into 2 montors..

crap, if i cant....hmm the 30inch hd display may be on my wish list. say goodbye to tax refund.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Not on usual computer right now so my bookmarks aren't with me: Have a website link that sells this device that makes it possible to run to monitors off of a MBP or MB. I can send it tomorrow sometime...

6. breadz thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks..i think i found it at

http://eskatonia.net/qcblog/2006/07/02/triplehead2go-running-on-macbook-pro/

it looks pretty awesome, thanks mkrishnan

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Wonder if its possible to do 2 2407's... Hmm anyone know?

8. breadz thread starter macrumors newbie

i think so, but i heard it was recommended to have 2 gigs of memory. damn, i keep spending and spending....

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

RAM in a MBP makes no difference to video performance because it has a dedicated card. In the Mac mini and the MacBook, adding RAM won't make the video abilities any better - it gets 64MB regardless - but it makes using the system smoother and easier because that 64MB taken up by the GMA950 makes less of a difference with 1GB or 2GB than it does with 512MB.

Adding a second external monitor to a MacBook Pro (or any Mac outside the Mac Pro) is not supported and shouldn't be considered as an option. If you need the room, get a 30"ACD - it will work perfectly on a MacBook Pro.

10. breadz thread starter macrumors newbie

it my not be supported out the box but you can buy an adpter. check out this link

http://eskatonia.net/qcblog/2006/07/02/triplehead2go-running-on-macbook-pro/

11. breadz thread starter macrumors newbie

hey mkrishnan,
    thanks for the link. It appears that the matrox adapter wont be a good fit for the MBP because it wont be able to support Hi Resolution monitors from DVI. i think if its at 3 display, it can run only at 1024×768. im thinking now that the 300 or so bucks id spend on the adapter, i could spend it towards a 30inch or something.