Has Anyone Done Any Volunteer Work?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jul 24, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Since I don't have a job, and I'll be goin back to college in a month, I was thinkin' about doing some volunteer work. Any volunteers here, or people that have volunteered? What's it like?
  2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Yes. It's like work. Except no one pays you.

Don't believe all the "personally rewarding" stuff. If you believe in helping other people, or if you believe in bettering your community, then you do that, whether you're a volunteer or no. It's how you live your life, not how you identify your time spent.

Such that:

There are lots of ways to help people and community outside of volunteerism. I'm sure many people do these things in their professions, when they're walking around their neighborhoods, etc. I'm just wary of volunteerism that too easily self-identifies and that too easily puts the self before other people ...

Maybe I'm extra cynical tonight. After all, I've been "volunteered" for an HR meeting tomorrow.

God I hate HR.
  3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i've done some. As of what to do, it depends on what you like. You like computers, maybe you can help out teaching computers to the elderly or children.
  4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    I have done alot of volunteer work at my school in the computer lab and stuff. I really do enjoy it. I get to play with expensive equipment and learn lots too. :) We just got $10000 in servers and I got to set them up. :D
  5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
  6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    I did 100 hours for the school last summer. And at the end of it, they gave me an envelope with a decent sum in it.
  7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I really depends on what kind of volunteer work you do. I volunteered at a headstart center and I really enjoyed being around the kids and helping them learn and get along with eachother. I've also volunteered at a homeless shelter a nursing home, and a community garden. The community garden was nice because the other people that worked there were really cool (I still go there during the summer). Defenatily choose something that you could see yourself enjoying. Volunteer work also came in handy for me when I filled out job applications since I had no other "work experiences".
  8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    My biggest thing with volunteering, is as long as the people you're doing it with are having fun, it will be an enjoyable activity no matter what you're doing. I've spent lots of time volunteering my (lacking) carpentry skills, and did it with great people and had an awesome time. I would highly suggest it, and even though some cynical people out there (;) ) will tell you otherwise, it can be very rewarding.
  9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes... I have taught, designed and produced all sorts of publicity material, helped out on stalls and community events. And still occasionally do from time to time but less often these days.

Am thinking of renewing my involvement in my local community in a slightly different way by taking on mentoring.
  10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    This probably isn't exactly what you meant, but...

I volunteer at my church (mostly the tech. stuff). I also am the webmaster for the church website.

I've also helped at a few Pancreatic Cancer events in my area.
  11. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005
    Yes. Through my school I have:

1. Given talks and classes to younger children, involving sex, drugs etc
    2. Done 'councelling' sessions, from a Pupil-to-Pupil point of view
    3. Completed workshop training to speak to younger children, involving confidence, trust factors etc
    4. Recently arranged a Fashion Show for Charity, which I blagged loads of free clothes, prizes, arranged the music, all the adverts/brochures/posters, and presented.

Its through School, so it doesn't really feel like 'work' becase I don't expect to be paid to go to School anyway (Eventhough I do, £30 a week from the EMA :))
  12. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    Being of selfless service to others is good for the soul.* Those whom you are of service to give you a gift in giving you an opportunity to selflessly give of yourself.* Volunteering is one of the many ways that this can be achieved.
  13. Ish macrumors 68000

Nov 30, 2004
    I used to go volunteering in the countryside. We used to go to a pick up point and a van used to come and pick us up and take us to that week's project. We'd build a small bridge or cut down overgrown banks along the canal footpath or whatever. No-one ever had to do more than they felt able and it was great fun.
  14. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    That's typical of a school - you put in all that effort and all they give you is a maths test.
  15. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes, we do some volunteering through work - I don't have time during the week to commit to helping regularly unfortunately.

In May, about 60 people from the office went to four different projects and spent a day painting, decorating, gardening for a few schools and a OAP home.

Work also run placements for up to 6 months (anything from full-time to a few hours a week) that people can apply to do for a local charity. The person gets paid as normal but spends x hours a week helping a charity to do something from setting up a fundraising system, to helping with event co-ordination to reading in local schools.
  16. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    I spent a long time in Africa, volunteering, helping out in a few places. It was hard work, but great fun, and I would do it again at the drop of a hat. I didn't even go to volunteer. I went to see some friends and get drunk. However it turned out to be fantasitc. The people are amazing, polite, funny, friendly, like people should be to one another... :)

....however I wouldn't volunteer in the UK, or in fact anywhere else in the 'developed world'. I wouldn't do it because every time I've helped someone out who actually needed the help they've been completely ungrateful. :(
  17. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island
    It's great to hear about the work you've done in Africa, but unfortunate about your experiences in the "developed world" with volunteer work.
  18. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I'm goin to give it a shot, maybe help with computer stuff.
  19. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I'm thinking about volunteering to sort out the moors fires. If you haven't heard... which I doubt anybody outside of Greater Manchester has, there have been massive fires spreading through the very dry moorland in Stalybridge. You can see the smoke billowing from the hills from all around! Like some kind of volcano. Firefighters are trying to put a stop to it. I'd love to go join them, they probably wouldn't let me though.
  20. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Nope I have not heard about that. Since I am in Canada they don't cover that. There is already too many things in the news here. Everything from the smoking ban moving up a year, to middle east. I have heard about California's fires.
  21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I've worked on building homes for Habitat for Humanity. Really fun times.

I used to be a Big Brother to a kid but had to end it when his mom tried getting too close to me. Wasn't into her and she wouldn't back off. Thought it was best in the long run to cut and run.
  22. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have done vaious types of volunteer work, but mostly with Meals on Wheels delivering hot lunches to the elderly; we participate through our workplace. I have found it very rewarding and enjoy seeing the same people on my route.
  23. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    Tons! I like working with kids and the elderly. I do adopt-a-pre school, and have done adopt-a-grandparent.

Did some work at nursing home too, I called the bingo numbers:D

March of Dimes almost always needs volunteers.

Its fun and rewarding! I think EVERYONE who is able should volunteer at least a few times a year, especially when some of us are so forunate...especially people from this board. Giving back is always great, and its good "karma".
  24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Yup I did a lot of volunteer work....real good experience and keeps my resume looking sharp.

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm involved with the boy scouts. It's only 1 hour a week ;)