Has Anyone Else Run Into This?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mtorbin, Mar 2, 2004.

1. mtorbin macrumors member

Hey all,

I inherited an old Power Mac G4 with the following stats:

G4
    350 mhz
    384 Mg Ram
    40 gig Drive

(actually the HD is new... long story) Anyways, I installed 10.2 just fine. When I go to install 10.3, the mouse shuts down as it's dying for more RAM. I've never seen this happen before and I can't figure it out. the only thing I can think of is that the machine isn't fast enough to handle 10.3, but that's not supposed to be the case.

This happens every time. I haven't had time to switch out the keyboard and mouse because I need the ones I have for work, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Any ideas?

- MT

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Weird... is it the standard Hockey-Puck mouse that came with the G4 originally? Or is it a 3rd party mouse? Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging in the mouse? Plugging it in directly to the USB port in back?

3. mtorbin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's the old hockey puck. Crazy thing is, I'm running updates now and it works fine. The ONLY thing I could think of is that instead of launching the software and having it restart, I should restart myself and hold down the C key, but I'm not sure what's up with that. I even plugged in my new optical that's out now (made by Apple) and that had no effect. The weird thing was the the optical light didn't even come on (as if the keyboard didn't even work).

This is a strange one indeed...

- MT

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Perhaps you need a firmware update, that might help things.

5. mtorbin thread starter macrumors member

Someone else suggested that and when I went to the Apple site, I couldn't find it. Could you point me in the right direction?

- MT

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

if you have gotten 10.3 to work

Which I think you said you did, when you do an update, the firm where will get downloaded. All you need to do is read the directions and do what it says. simple as that.