Has Anyone Ever Sent Their Camera in For Repair?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by asuidrok, Jul 26, 2006.

1. asuidrok macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2005
    I have a Canon GL2 that has thick bars across it on playback. It appears to be more of a problem than a simple cleaning could fix.

So my questions are:
    1.) Has anyone ever had a similar problem?
    2.) How much would you estimate this might cost to have repaired?
    3.) Has anyone sent in a repair order through Canon's website and how was your experience?

I appreciate any feedback you might have, as it is very disappointing to have my expensive toy stop working even though I rarely use it and take extremely good care of it. Thanks for your help!
  2. asuidrok thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2005
    OK, Can Somebody Please Just Give Me A Guess?

It is looking like no one has had a problem, so I would appreciate some advise on how much you think I should spend to fix it and maybe a few guesstaments on what you think it might cost to get it repaired? Anything would help! Thanks!
  3. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Apr 12, 2005
    Outer Space
    Have you tried calling Canon? Could be some sort of alignment. I have no idea what it might cost. I had some transport problems a couple of years ago with my Optura 200 and they fixed it for free, even out of warranty. I believe Canon will give you an estimate for free if you send it in. I suppose it would only cost the price of shipping. You may have an authorized Canon repair shop in your town that can ballpark it.

How much should you spend is totally up to you, but I would not spend any more than $314.15.
  4. briansolomon macrumors 6502

Apr 1, 2005
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I had this problem! It was a cleaning problem. After using a dirty tape I got this problem although this problem can appear over time. Buy a tape head cleaner and try that before you send it in although I think it's too late...

Find a local shop first. They can give you an estimate. Most, though not all, do not do on-site repairs. They will give you an estimate on their judgement, then if you choose to have it fixed, send it to Canon to be repaired.
  5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I sent in my Canon XL-1s for repair. They replaced the printed circuit board under warranty. The thing wouldn't stay on and recording for some reason. When it came back it was good as new. I dropped the camera at Abt Electronics and they took care of the shipping to and from Canon. I think Abt is an authorized Canon service and repair center anyhow. I bought the camera from them.

I dropped off my JVC HD10U at the JVC service center. They replaced my CCD block under warranty. I had a stuck green pixel. When I got it back it was as good as new, with no defects.

When you send in a camcorder for repair, it's standard practice for the repair center to also do a thorough cleaning along with whatever service you're getting. They also offer this as an annual service but I'm not sure how much they charge for it.