Has anyone found a solution for airtunes choppiness?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Iamgort, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

So I have my airplay/airtunes setup in the house in 3 rooms. I've tried multiple wifi channels and I always seem to get some sort of choppiness at some point while streaming audio using airplay. Is there any real solution to eliminate this? I know my post is somewhat vague but it's pretty annoying especially when you're entertaining to have your music chopping in and out.

2. macrumors 6502

Are you initiating airplay from your computer or from the apple tvs? Are you on 5ghz wifi or 2.4? Wireless B, G, or N? How far away is your router from the Apple TVs? How many walls need to be penetrated? Can you run hard wires to them? What router do you have?

3. macrumors 603

blueroom

Wired Ethernet on the AirPlay devices. Of course your router makes a difference.

4. macrumors 6502

Is there a minimum transfer rate / RSSI needed to have smooth audio playback via AirPlay/AirTunes?

5. macrumors 603

blueroom

What type of router is it?
    It's most likely a crappy router or lots of 2.4GHz interference.

Try
    Moving your router or ATV
    Getting a new router, dual band is nice, MIMO a must.
    Wired Ethernet to the ATV

----------

Your other thread indicates your attempting to bridge with an AirPort Express. You speeds will take a >50% hit and other flotsam.

Look into power line Ethernet for your wired devices, keep as much off the WiFi as possible.