Has anyone found an adapter for using different headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by squall1, Jun 30, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Has to be one of the more bone-headed design decisions I've ever seen from Apple. Thanks in advance!

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm really kind of pissed about this. I went to the store to see if they had any affordable headphones and of course they don't. I absolutely hate the earbuds because they fall out of my ears too easily. I searched all over for an adapter that wasn't ugly as sin like the Belkin one. BLAH!!! Ah well, guess I can still use my iPod until someone comes out with a decent and affordable pair of headphones.

4. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I love my iPhone despite a few minor software glitches because these can be fixed in software updates. However, this stupid decision to recess the headphone jack is making me mad. Why in the world did Apple think that was a good idea?! That Belkin adapter is hideous and looks like a good way to break the headphone jack (long lever arm). I'm making my own adapter from using the plug from a pair of broken iPhone earbuds but Apple needs to release a well thought out, cabled adapter and update the design to remove the stupid recessed jack so that normal headphones will work in it.

5. macrumors newbie

Belkin adapter

I saw that Belkin adapter for sale at our new Apple store in Tulsa today. It extraordinarily long... Way longer than it needs to be, and I agree a good way to break your headphone jack if you're not careful. It's $9.99 at the Apple store, probably the same everywhere else. I thought about getting it nonetheless for my Shure E3c headphones but I think I'll grin and bear it with the stock headphones until Shure releases their adapter/microphone kit in August. Yuk.

6. macrumors newbie

the belkin thing might not be too bad. The descriptions say that the plastic mid section is flexible, not hard plastic.

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 68040

mduser63

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Griffin has that splitter thing out now, does anyone know if that works? I'm going to Radio Shack today to see if they might have something...they usually do. I just can't believe people have to hack their headphones or make their own, how dumb is that?

I know this is the iPhone, but it is an iPod as well and you should be able to plug whatever headphones you want into it. I don't want to carry two devices when I travel, that's one of the main reasons I bought this thing. 500-600 bucks and people are hacking up solutions or, even more insulting, having to buy an adapter! Come on Apple....

10. macrumors newbie

Use a knife to trim plug

Just take an x-acto knife or other sharp blade and trim off a few millimeters around the plug on the headphones. I've already done this the volume cable to connect to my old CSW Microworks system and it worked fine.

If the headphones you want to use are too expensive, then buy a Y adapter for three of four bucks and cut that. It's only a few inches long and even let's one share the tunes with someone next to you.

It's really quite easy if one is patient and uses a good sharp blade. Just make sure to hold the plug so that if the knife slips it doesn't go into fingers or anything else vital.

11. macrumors 603

That is what I did also. It is rigged but hopefully UE's is working on a iPhone cord.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. macrumors newbie

I just want an adapter for my Aux jack in my car, so I can play the ipod features while driving.

The Belkin adapter seems perfect for me, but I hope that JBL makes iphone compatible headphones; their earbuds are the best I've had.

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

14. macrumors regular

15. macrumors 6502

Stewie

But the iPhone headphones has the mic double as a button for pausing songs and skipping to the next track. I think that is a really good feature of some otherwise standard looking headphones.

16. macrumors 6502a

My suggestion was to take the old "Water tight" adapter cable that came with shuffle 1.0 water "proof" cases and dremmel it down to fit. its about 3 inchest long, but just a flexable cord and would make an easy extension to most headphones.

17. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Much as I'd like a molded adapter, no one has one around here at the moment.

Went to Radio Shack and bought a "Y" adapter.

Knife and shrink-tube (to bring it up to the diameter of the Apple Plug), and it seems to fit nicely.

Attached Files:

18. macrumors 604

QuarterSwede

What they need to come out with is an adapter that looks like the iPhone cord (with one button remote and mic) that allows you to plug in any set of phones you want. Come on Apple, everyone knows your earbuds suck.

Heck Apple may as well substitute the earbud cord/remote for the adapter/remote + earbuds and make it easier for everyone.

19. macrumors member

this is a baffling aspect of the design of the iphone. i could see potentially if apple had made the adapter, but it's not even their own profit if they're using this crazy design to sell a belkin/other 3pp product.

the iphone is sexy as hell, but i'm kind of astonished at the need to buy an 1/8" to 1/8" adapter to make it work with any other headphones.

20. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

This is pretty close: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/headphoneadapter/

I'm still going to order these, when available (need 2 :) ). Not to happy with the look of the Belkin. My "McGyver'd" "Y" adapter will suffice in the mean time.

21. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It seems to function as a strain relief for the jack itself. With the barrel of the plug in the recess, the case takes the strain, not the jack.

22. macrumors member

Just a heads up, I have the Belkin adapter, and it DOES bend......like it bends fully so that i can touch the end where you plug yours in, to the other tip that goes into the iphone......

It's not just like one hard piece of inflexible plastic.

23. macrumors 603

iSaint

I just remembered that the AT&T store where I bought my iPhone had some Shure headphones on the iPhone accessory rack. They were packaged different, and had a different model number than the e2c, e3c, etc. I didn't look closely at them, so I wonder if they have the correct plug for the iPhone? They were $99.

EDIT: I found them on the AT&T site. Apparently you do need the adapter, but they don't sell it. Nice!

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

24. macrumors regular

woodbutcher

I purchased a set of the shure headset from the ATTt store, and was very excited owning 2 sets of shure earphones already> ec5's for my ipod 80 gig, and a second set of ec3 for my old 40 gig (I leave that in the car for my car stereo interface, and sometimes I forget my other ipod at home, so a second set of earphones comes in handy) The ATT store would not let me try them, so I purchased them and went to my car to try them out. The sound quality was pretty good until I tried a phone call. Both on my end, and on the callers end sounded like you in a barrel, echo with crackles and pops. I thought maybe i had a defective pair, and tried a second pair with the same results. Returned them without ever leaving the ATT parking lot. I was very disappointed. So for now I am stuck with the stock headphones with a pair of griffin earjams.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/32900

25. macrumors regular

I'm about to pick up a pair of Shures. Why was the sound quality poor on the calls? Wouldn't you just be using the regular mic to speak into and the shure's to hear the other end? Please let me know!