Has anyone gotten their MacAddict Jan. 04' edition yet?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ITR 81, Dec 16, 2003.

1. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    I got mine today.
    It celebrates the 20th ann. by doing a pretty complete history of Apple Computers. Covers 12 pages

As two page write up about Woz.

Covers all the specs of the Va-Tech Super Computer G5 Cluster.

Gives 10 reasons why Mac users should care about iTunes being released for Windows.

Covers an overview of Unreal Tournament 2004..which looks bad ass.

Tips from DJ Paul Van Dyk using your PB with Final Scratch.

They capare the G5 to it's 5 main PC competitors. Which pit's the 2GHz G5 against the 3.2Ghz P4. The G5 one some battles and lost some, but also matched the PC's also. All the PC's were similary equipt with all have 1GB of ram and similar Superdrives of their own. 3 out of the PC's (Dell, IBM and HP) were over $3k while Compaq and Gateway pulled in at $2K range.
    The G5 was priced at $3,549

5 page article showing you how many hrs you will save a yr using Panther.
    Expose' saves you a total of 41hrs a yr.
    Fast User Switching saves you 46hrs a yr.
    Mail saves you 121hrs and 30mins a yr.

They review:
    Studio MX 2004
    Canvas 9 Pro Edition
    Neverwinter Nights
    Pyro DV Drive
    Canon Elura 50
    Rio Cali
    Wireless Intellimouse Explorer
    VS4121 speaker set
    Media Reader for iPod
    Voice Recorder for iPod
    Quicken 2004
    Wireless Optical Desktop from Kensington
    Store 'n' Go(USB 2.0 flash drive)
    Memory Mini Mouse from Iogear

In the tips area they show you how develop your own music maker, how to play all the hidden games in OS X- Snake, Pong, Tetris, Mac Shrink, and Life which is text Unix screen saver. They also go into how to make widgets for Konfabulator.

This issue really kicks ass and I highly recommend you pick this one up if you don't already have a sub. for MacAddict.
    I myself just re-sub. for 2 yrs.
  2. zellin macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just got mine!!!

I don't know how I'd live without my MacAddict. Way better than Macworld!!!
  3. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    MacAddict rocks, and I still have a few unopened copies of the first issue, but I fell out of love with computer magazines unless I'm on an airplane. They can't compete with the net for info. Everything I read in a published magazine is a month behind.

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2002
    True, the internet is way ahead of magazines, but at least with MacAddict you get a software CD. It also has cool articles, such as this issue about the 20th anniversery. It puts it all in one place. Plus the writing team is hilarious!
  5. ITR 81 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Re: Just got mine!!!

No doubt. I read Macworld for about 6 month this yr. and hated it. It was very drawn out and boring. In MacAddict they hit on subjects I atleast am interested in.

I love the Unix school portion they do.
    I don't know of any other Mac mag that goes into depth about Unix commands and such.

MacAddict = Maximum PC or Road and Track

Macworld = PC Mag or Car and Driver
  6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I have a friend that's a real Mac freak too. She has a subscription to MacWorld and thinks it's tha bomb. I have a subscription to MacAddict (and love it) and can't stand MacWorld.

The funny thing is that she's the one that's crazy-go-nuts and I'm the one that's all straightlaced and boring. :rolleyes: I guess demographics isn't all THAT reliable...