Has anyone gotten worse using Windows after using OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Oct 10, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I've been using Windows for 10 years, and for the past year I have been using OS X. Well, I bought an iBook a couple of months ago and I use it exclusively (almost) at home. Now I think I've actually gotten worse at using Windows, and Windows doesn't feel as comfortable to me as it used to! Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Well i always try to do control click in windows but thats about it.
    May be you wernt ripe for the switch!!!

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

After using Mac OS X almost a year, (I switched in December '04) it sure does suck having to use Windows. I have to use it sometimes if I'm at a friend's house or something and it just doesn't feel right.

4. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Naw. I love OS X more than XP in every way possible (almost...)

It's just I feel uncomfortable using XP now that I'm so used to using OS X. At work, there are always two computer room consultants shifted together (part time job at a university). Everyone always barges for the PCs, but I always take the Mac, because it's so cool. ;)

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I must have different parts of the brain for each operating system. I use Windows at work in a pretty effective way (I thnk) and then come home and automatically switch to the Mac way of doing things.

As an experiment when I first switched, I tried using Windows more like a Mac (not having windows full screen, no right clicking etc) and (shudder) Mac more like Windows (more keyboard shortcuts, closing instead of managing windows) and they both feel awful. I guess my brain just adapts to whichever system I am using.

Still prefer the Mac though.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I use both regularly so I don't really have a problem with either. Don't tell anyone but I'm actually looking into replacing my old PC with a Dell in the next few weeks. Sshhh.

7. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

The main thing is I think I'm always trying to use expose on XP ... lol.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I switched in early 2003 and am now much less proficient in Windows than I used to be. I have to stop and remember how to trick Windows into working :rolleyes:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Taskbar way of handling open windows is atrocious. My biggest gripe is forgetting that there's no inbuilt spell checker. :(

10. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Me too. I usually sit there looking dumbly at the screen and wondering why clicking the scroll wheel of the mouse isn't sending windows flying all over the place. Confuses me for a few seconds every time :)

11. Project macrumors 68020

Ive only been using OSX for 2 weeks and when im at work I CONSTANTLY throw the mouse cursor to the left side of the window to minimise lol

Ive accidentally closed down apps by pressing the close button too... :-(

12. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I hate going back using Add/Remove function to uninstall any PC program. It's so simple here in Mac to just drag-n-drop any application out of the box into the trash. That's efficiency!

13. cc bcc macrumors 6502

You haven't gotten worse at it, OS X just redefined "comfortable" for you. ;)

14. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Not really, i have merely become more frustrated when things don't work as they should ;)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

unfortunately i still have to use a Windows machine. but there was a period of around 2-3 months where I used nothing but OS X and going back to windows was just hard. like i set up hotcorners on OS X. bottom left for view all windows, bottom right for desktop. i tell ya Windows+D just to minimise felt like going back to dinosaur days.
    and the way Windows interprets the mouse is horrible. it just felt disgusting and slow, but most importantly inconsistent. which was a pain.

also a few times i've tried just pushing a CD into the side of my laptop :D silly old way!

i've become much better in both now. just dont give me linux :D

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I get nauseated just thinking about Windows. I would rather place my hands on a hot stove than lay my hands on a PC mouse. Truly sickening.

17. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

oh man, tell me about it! I ALWAYS try to do expose whenever I use a windows PC for the first time now, and it drives me nuts that I can't. I think that may the single biggest revolution for me to come in years on the computer, the one thing I can't go back to computing without it

18. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I'm constantly trying to control click in windows, along with trying to apple-c to copy. I was cleaning out my girlfriend's laptop yesterday, and felt so uncomfortable with the operating system. I've been on a Mac since December '04.

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I never used XP much, only W2k. So I not near as efficient or fast when trying to move around XP on the rare occassion that I have to. I think I'm about to get a job where they have XP Gateways. Oh, boy...

20. iGary Guest

iGary

I was very good with Windows up until about two years ago.

I'm a complete bumble with it now.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm fine with Windows at work although the lack of tabs in IE annoys me (can't install Firefox at work) and the lack of F10. I hate the way that Windows seems to randomly distribute new windows across the screen.

But today, I was trying to use Excel on one of the office laptops which has a weird two button set up - they're not side by side but one above the other. The 'right' button on that is about the same place as my single button on the Powerbook. It was really tough trying to consciously left/right click. I found myself a few times reaching for the control key to bring up the contextual menu even though when in front of my usual work desktop, I right click without thinking about it.

22. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

When I'm on a Windows computer and surf the net, I often put my mouse over a word I don't understand and then attempt to press Command, Apple and D to get a dictionary definition.

I think that is a great feature Apple has built in to Mac OS X.

Lack of tabs really annoys me too. Tabs is a fantastic invention.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i'll be buggered when it comes to Longhorn/Vista. I dont plan on upgrading for more than 10 minutes (hey, i'd like to see the effects then swifty move back to an OS that runs my only PC-only app. they say Vista won't work with it. ho hum).

Whats smashing honky is that I'm at university for the next 2 and a bit years... then i may go onto my Masters or whatevers next at the same univeristy... then get a job in a design studio.
    what do they all have in common? they all use macs! no vista confusing me there.

24. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Always on Windoze, I try to find a document hidden under about 10 windows, I press F9 and wonder why nothing happens :mad:

::20ROGERSC::

25. prophet621 macrumors member

No real problems since I still use Windows more than my ibook. (It has the software I need/use often..and games) The only time I run into trouble is when I'm using my Toshiba laptop and try to use two fingers to scroll on a page and then remember I can't do that.