Has anyone had professional teeth whitening done?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dcv, Sep 14, 2005.

1. dcv macrumors G3

I am considering having my teeth whitened - my dental practice is offering £100 off at the moment so it's *only* £495 :eek:

Sounds like a lot of money i know, but let's put this into perspective, a 20" ACD is still more expensive!

The procedure is called Brite Smile and involves having a bleaching gel applied to your teeth which is then activated by an intense blue light. This is done in three 20 minute sessions so in just over an hour they claim to whiten your teeth by up to 9 shades.

So does anyone have recent experience of this? Are the results really that good and does it last a while (literature i've got here says about 2 yrs)? I was at the dentist yesterday and the receptionist said she'd had hers done last week and they did look really good, but then i don't know what her teeth were like beforehand.

is there anyone in the UK that's had this done and if so how much did you pay?

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

a family friend has had hers done. But she spent over a grand on them.

So it sounds like a good deal based simply on the grand.

But, she doesnt drink wine or coffee anymore.

That to me would be quite a sacrifice!

3. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

noooooo, i couldn't give up coffee!!

but actually i don't drink that much - only a cup in the morning and as i work from home i would make sure to brush my teeth afterwards if i were to get this whitening done. from what i've heard you only need to be on a 'white diet' for a day or so after having it done.

i'm just trying to get feedback from everywhere before i decide to definitely spend the cash...

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes... coffee, tea, cola (including Diet coke), even red wine are all really bad for your veneers. If I had dropped $1K on teeth whitening I'd have to reconsider drinking all those teeth staining yummies. :(

To the OP: maybe a cheaper method-- cut down on the aforementioned beverages and use teeth whitening toothpaste as well as whitening strips. I know that when I have tried Crest Whitestrips I could see a noticeable difference only using one strip a day after 3 measly days! It's much cheaper and you won't feel as bad if you do slip up and drink the yummy-teeth stainers. :p

5. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

right i definitely need to change my username!! i don't drink that much diet coke!!

i spoke to the dental hygienist yesterday about whitening and she said generally whitening toothpastes don't do very much. they help slightly to remove superficial stains from coffee, tea etc but the only way to get noticeable results is professional bleaching. she also said products such as 'pearl drops' are quite harsh and can damage the enamel from prolonged use. i asked about the home whitening kits you can buy and she said they're not that effective because most are only about 1/10th or even 1/15th of the strength of the professional stuff so results don't last as long, plus i think it probably takes longer.

i just found crest whitestrips on the web. they're £50 for a 21-day supply. could be worth a shot i suppose but with the professional method you see results in one hour instead of wearing these strips for a few mins a day every day.

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I think I would wait, or just use the toothpaste.

My uncle works for a company that sells dental implants (nasty stuff!) and feels that the bleaching degrades the dentin significantly. I've checked around with a few people at my company (we sell dental products to dentists) and there is no consensus as to whether it is damaging or not.

Unless you can find some studies by the ADA or another organisation, I would not try anything too extreme.