Has anyone had their MBP spontaneously reboot when going to sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SiliconAddict, Dec 13, 2006.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    This happened last week. Thankfully it hasn't happened again. I went to go to bed, shut the lid on my MBP, and slightly dropped it about an inch or two off the floor. A few seconds later I hear the gong of the system rebooting. :eek:

While I don't think dropping it, really it was more of a controlled drop then anything else ontop of my padded case, caused this to occurred I'm still at a loss as to what caused this. Maybe the motion sensor was confused or something as it was going to sleep.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. :confused: Thankfully this only happened once. Still.....
  2. ibglowin macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2005
    I had this happen a few weeks ago. Just closed the lid and I hear the loud GONG! Only happened once. My BIGGEST problem has been a reluctance to wake up from sleep properly. I have a login when wake from sleep prompt. Most of the time it pops up but I bet 15% of the time I just get a blank screen with a cursor. No prompt to type in my password. I have found a work around that works most of the time. Just keep closing and opening the lid again and it usually pops up finally and I can enter my password and go back to work. Other than that ithis guy is easily my favorite Mac of all time! (and I have had a plenty!)

3. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    I left my screen open and everything wen to grab a quick groceries at the supermarket came back clicked my spacebar and nothing was coming on. Then had to start it up like i had shut it down... Power was plugged in...
  4. hqsbud macrumors member

Nov 10, 2003
    In the 1.5 months I've owned my MBP, this has happened twice. What's more, both incidents happened the same day.

The motion sensor theory is an interesting one. I wish I could remember what I was doing when this happened, but I normally throw it into a laptop case after I put it to sleep by closing the lid, so I suppose there could have been motion sensor involvement. It will be interesting to see if there's a real pattern among many people here.
  5. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Hmm, that's interesting. I have a new Macbook and had the same thing happen. Only once so far... and I agree that the motion sensor theory is interesting. I was walking with the macbook while I was shutting the lid and then heard the reboot gong.
  6. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    No issues here, I put it to sleep and lug it around with no problems. Just picks up where i left off.
  7. roxnadz macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2006
    This happened to me last night on my Week 46 15" C2D. Any clues as to why it's happening would be greatly appreciated..
  8. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    It's now happened to me twice in OS X and about 4 times in XP while playing Age of Empires 3
  9. gcrowell macrumors member

Oct 25, 2006
    Happens about every 10 days or so. I reset the PMU, which seems to have helped; will try and see if the movement sensor has anything to do with it.
  10. kamkaz macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2007