Has anyone here tried the Span hack with the new ibook Radeons?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WillMak, Aug 4, 2005.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Has anyone here tried the spanning hack with the new ibooks yet? swhould the change from 9200 to 9550 make the software not work as well?
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It may need to be tweaked, but probably does not. It doesn't change anything about the video card -- that's why it works in a wide variety of different macs using the same code. The problems mostly occur with iBooks that have video cards that don't support spanning at a basic level, I think.

Once it does get working, it should actually be better, since that's a substantially faster and more capable video card than the one in the previous iBooks. Although, I guess you could also argue that, having more capability, more stuff will be offloaded to that video card than the old one, meaning more video ram will be used up, meaning, that, for the typical usage profile with the new card, you might see more deterioration in performance with the second monitor plugged in than you see on the old iBooks. But it'll still be faster than the old iBooks. :)

Anyway, though, I would wait and see if I were you, too, though. :eek:
  3. Yoyodyne macrumors member

Jul 30, 2005
    I have a new 14" and have the hack installed. It works with my 17" 1280x1024 LCD. The only bug I found was my clock resetting on each reboot. I zapped the pram and retried the hack and I no longer have the problem. I think the clock reset may have to do with having the video adapter plugged into the iBook without the second monitor connected.
    I haven’t had any major slowdown effects except for when I am dragging from screen to screen. The edges of the application window have a jagged effect, but if I am just moving it within my secondary monitor, it is as smooth as on my iBook. Importantly, Expose and Dashboard run smooth. You don’t have anything to lose. All those spazzes who scare people off boards are usually misinformed with older iBook (Rage card) stories or freak incidents.
  4. JonMaker macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2004
    Anyone else?

I'd very much like the spanning hack on my new iBook, but I want to see some more positives with the 9550 + hack.
  5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005