Has anyone jumped from Steve Kochans Objective-C 2.0 2nd to 4th edition? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by chrono1081, Dec 28, 2011.

1. chrono1081, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I'm getting back in to Objective-C and Cocoa and I have the 2nd Edition of Steve Kochans book, I used it a great deal as a reference but I've heard from some places that the upgrade to the 4th edition is worth it, but I've heard from other places its not. I didn't know if there is enough new material to warrant the purchase.

I generally tend to like Macrumors recommendations so I was wondering if anyones jumped from the 2nd edition to the 4th and wonder what your thoughts are on it and if it was worth the upgrade.

2. macrumors 6502

Kochan himself has said the 4th edition isn't needed if you have an older edition. You can see the differences on his web forum for the book.

However, with ios5 Xcode 4.2 and ARC it's a whole new programming world. If you're starting fresh I think it would be a good idea to have the 4th edition. If you have a decent knowledge of objective-c and are just freshening up (unlearning old ways of doing things) you could pick up the changes in the forums.

3. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks guys.

I've worked through Kochans book before, but it has been awhile. Maybe I'll pick up the new version just to see what this ARC is all about. I always turn it off when starting an XCode project because I am wary about it but supposedly its awesome.

5. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

- Turn on ARC
    - Remove all references to [object release]

There, you've seen what this ARC is all about, no need to spend for a book. ;)

Books are good to learn, but I find the web much better as a reference. No need to waddle through a book once you know the stuff (heck, I learned Objective-C without a book at all and while I'm no expert at it, I've managed quite well for myself).

6. thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Holy crap its that easy???

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

7. macrumors 68000