Has anyone PLAYED Doom 3 for Mac yet?

Discussion in 'Games' started by iriejedi, Mar 18, 2005.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

The game has been out for nearly a week and not one post I've seen with an actual Mac user's opinion.... (for the mac version of the game). :)

I'm picking my copy up today so I'll remedy that lack of personal reviews tonight if it is still in stock at comp USA, after work.... but other than the reviews and a lot of critisism of open GL and video drivers... someone has to admit to paying for it and testing it themselves... I mean we all know that when a movie reviewer loves a movie it sucks and when they hate it it becomes a classic and ends up in our DVD collections.... :p

I think it will play quite well... but I guess I won't know for another 8 hours or so.... :confused:

2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Apparently this guy has. He seems to think it runs fine... I wonder if this thread will turn into another argument over the definition of "smooth" and "playable". :rolleyes:

3. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Also... Here's something interesting, hope no one has already posted this.. But this guy's got Doom 3 running on Dual Voodoo2's (in SLI)...
    Link
    Pretty cool, though ugly looking

4. Qianlong macrumors regular

let's say a PM G4 800 QS with a radeon 7500 (32mb ram) and 1.25 GB ram is a no go :rolleyes:

the whole game looked like some coloured pencil drawing in motion.

5. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

The minimum requirements were nearly double your clock speed and you still tried? Hope you didn't buy it...

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Hopefully it will perform ok for you on your G5 iriejedi

It better do

:rolleyes: :D

7. mbulmer macrumors newbie

Performance on my Dual 2.0 GHz G5 was pretty depressing. I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 GB RAM in there, and I couldn't go past 800x600 on High Quality without making it unplayable. I guess I'll go pick up a Radeon X800 XT sometime.

I've got a similarly configured PC (2.0 GHz Athlon 64, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1 GB RAM, SATA, etc.) and it runs at 1024x768 on High at a smooth 30 FPS.

Strangely enough, it actually runs pretty well on my 1.33 GHz 12" PowerBook with a measly little GeForce 5200 Go. I can get a somewhat solid 30 FPS at 640x480, and it still looks good.

8. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Can't blame him....

I bought my fist six CDs before I owned a CD player... used the 6CDs as a justification for a CD player purchase.... :rolleyes:

Also my CPU/computer upgrade cycles are almost always governed by wanting to use new software that my computer won't run....(used to be game specific now it is photoshop/after effects etc...)

Regardless maybe this $50 spent will be the key to the justification for a new computer! :D