Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
So I've been blogging about barefoot running and I just went for a run with my new pair of Vibram Fivefingers. Has anyone tried these? They're amazing...

Ronix

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
I've always wanted to try a pair they just look uncomfortable... Do your toes fit that well? It just seems if one of your toes was too big or misshapen would ruin the entire experience, however looks better to wear these instead of going barefoot!

Here is the website for those of you that are lazy....

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Its a shoe that has individual toe compartments or whatever you want to call it... its like a glove but for your foot.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
they are awesome! i would not run on concrete with them but in a forest or slightly softer ground they are perfect.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
My first run with these shoes was the best run I've ever had in my life! I ordered these online and went for two barefoot runs while they were in the mail - both gave me blisters. I noticed that I really liked my body mechanics a lot more when running barefoot. For example, my back was automatically completely straight. It just felt better. The only complaint I have with the fivefingers is that it's not barefoot. I lost about half the sensation i was feeling with my feet when running barefoot. but i guess that's great for running on concrete.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
they are the stupidest looking thing i've ever seen. they must be great.

will they soccer cleats? Boots for those in the know.... ;)

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I have a pair, got them before they were known.

I dont run with them but they are the closest to walking barefoot I know

at first it was strange walking in them in public , then my body learned to walk better.
they felt strange but now feel normal , takes a while to get them on though :eek:

roblin

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
took my first run in them today. 20min. loved them!

if you care about your body buy them, if you care more what other people think about you, dont buy them.

JohnnyCGood

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was looking everywhere for these. They are sold out pretty much all over (online and here in town).

After digging and digging, I finally found one place with them in stock. Got them ordered and he shipped the next day. I had some questions and he was quick to respond (within a few hours actually). If anyone else is like me and can't find them, I got mine at http://www.crossroadsonline.com.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Is it anymore comfortable? I have been having shin problems from running, I have a feeling that these would either make it much worse or much better.

Depends. A lot of the time shin pain, discomfort, or "shin splints" have to do with the anterior tibialis and toe extensors being overstressed from improper foot strike. Overstriding and excess heel strike tend to be responsible for this stress, and more often than not improper foot strike is caused by improper footwear. Barefoot or nigh-barefoot running, orthopaedic inserts, or changes in stride can all effectively reduce this effect.

(Yes I know this is an old post)

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Mine come in tomorrow.
I'll run in them either tomorrow or Thursday. Can't wait!

Ordered mine from kayakshed.com

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
So, I have been wearing the fivefingers off and on, trying to adjust, but what I am finding is there is a really annoying not-quite-painful tendon-y or ligament-y sort of twinge that happens in between the first and second toes of my right foot. I'm not sure what I did, or if I wore them too long the first day and I'm still recovering or what. It keeps me from attempting anything really bold with them, though, like leaving the house. I'm hoping it's just a temporary adjustment thing, because they're stunningly comfortable otherwise.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
For what it's worth, I think I found the solution: Jam my toes in further and cinch the strap up tighter. It's starting to look like even though I went down one size from what the salesperson told me was a fit, I might have actually been better going down one more. Nevertheless I think these will work out now.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
So, I have been wearing the fivefingers off and on, trying to adjust, but what I am finding is there is a really annoying not-quite-painful tendon-y or ligament-y sort of twinge that happens in between the first and second toes of my right foot. I'm not sure what I did, or if I wore them too long the first day and I'm still recovering or what. It keeps me from attempting anything really bold with them, though, like leaving the house. I'm hoping it's just a temporary adjustment thing, because they're stunningly comfortable otherwise.

There's not really a tendon or aponeurosis that runs between the toes at the phalangeal level. Could you be more specific, perhaps with what actions initiate the feeling?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
There's not really a tendon or aponeurosis that runs between the toes at the phalangeal level. Could you be more specific, perhaps with what actions initiate the feeling?

It could also be a nerve pinch thing, I suppose, but I don't really know. It's a pain-ish thing, more really on the side of the second toe, near the base of the toe, on the big toe side and towards the plantar side. It's a sharp twinge (hard to describe it otherwise) when I just step which, at its worst, can be felt into the ball of my foot.

It's probably a minor injury, since I've felt it recently when not wearing the fivefingers, though less commonly. If I'm not, it's more likely to be when I'm turning or doing something otherwise unusual with my foot.

Based on further experience last night I do think perhaps I didn't have my toes in far enough and the thicker sole lugs on the Treks might have lined up such that they put pressure in other than the intended places. Just a theory.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
at its worst, can be felt into the ball of my foot.

It's probably a minor injury, since I've felt it recently when not wearing the fivefingers, though less commonly.

Sounds like a weak hallucis longus and/or brevis. Most of your flexors are probably weak from years of wearing shoes; most shoes provide some level of toe extension but very little flexion. Some basic toe exercises can go a long way to help reduce that, such as towel curls.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Sounds like a weak hallucis longus and/or brevis. Most of your flexors are probably weak from years of wearing shoes; most shoes provide some level of toe extension but very little flexion. Some basic toe exercises can go a long way to help reduce that, such as towel curls.

Seems likely, I suppose, but if so I don't fully understand why it wouldn't have been a problem just wandering around with my shoes off previously. I do think the tighter fitting could help.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I found out about the Vibram Five Fingers about 4 years ago via a tech website I browse. I was pretty intrigued by them, went to my local outdoor store, tried on a pair and took them home that day.

At first they really hurt my feet but I continued to wear them every now and then. Over the course of the year my feet muscles continued to strengthen and it no longer hurt to wear them.

For the past 2 years I have worn them as my primary shoes for almost all purposes during the warmer months of the year. This summer I backpacked Asia for about 3 months and wore my FiveFingers solely for 95% of the time.

There is no shoe I enjoy wearing more than my FiveFingers and it's been that way for the past 2 years. I wear them as much as possible and for me, they cater to almost any situation, even running.

I also call them my "famous shoes" because people stop me everywhere I go and ask me about my shoes. It's an excellent conversation starter and overtime you'll start to notice when people see your shoes. Many people will ask you about them but others will discreetly point them out to their friends and snicker quietly about them, it's really fun to observe. I've had people from many cultures around the world smile when they see my shoes, usually enticing a laugh and sometimes even asking me to try them on.

They truly are the neatest shoe I have ever owned.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I've had mine for almost two months now, and I must say "love" isn't an adequate word to describe how I feel about these things. My feet, ankles and lower legs are getting noticeably stronger. Why didn't someone come up with this idea sooner?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If I get a pair will I be able to toe wrestle my girlfriend into oblivion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.