Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
So I see that this thread has been somewhat busy, so I wanted to offer my two cents. I ended up running short distances with my Vibrams within a broader running program, but I did not end up switching to them completely.

I have looked at the podiatry link and found the discussion to be EQUALLY ANECDOTAL as this forum. The post starts with a bunch of ANECDOTES! As pointed out later in the forum, most of them are by regular runners that thought they could just switch the shoe and keep the rest of the training the same.

Obviously there is some serious adjustment that goes on in one's entire body when adjusting to this new gait. I have studied human anatomy and found that while I had learned the names of these muscles, I had never felt them until my first barefoot run.

The real verdict on these shoes can only be reached after doing rigorous, scientific, peer reviewed studies. While we wait for those, all our data is anecdotal at best.

I personally have seen a lot of benefit from regular use of these "shoes". However, it doesen't make sense to go crazy. Some lucky people might be able to all of a sudden switch, but for the rest of us, common sense is mandated.

PS: here's the best post from that link:

I am quite shocked at the lack of critical thought associated with most of these posts. Whether barefoot running or wearing Vibrams it is essential that a person work very slowly into this significant change in their training. Did any of these people follow appropriate protocol in moving from running shoe to barefoot or vibram running?! We are blaming the shoe on MAJOR STRATEGIC TRAINING ERRORS. We have to remember that it will take several months to adapt and accommodate this new stress. Just as in the folks who have never run in their adult life need to pick up this new skill (i.e. running) very slowly. I must also add that I would never recommend that someone run exclusively in these shoes and never for marathon mileage. For those of you on this post that have claimed injury to barefoot or vibram running, try the following:

1) Integrate barefoot training in a technique and drill focused warm-up on an accommodating surface such as grass. There will be no actual "running" to start, just technique drills and a single leg strengthening exercises. Time: approximately 10-20 minutes. Frequency: 2x/week. Continue with regular training minus 10% in regular shoes.
2) Progress warm-up over a period of 2-3 months. At the end of the 2-3 months should be the first sign of consistent running. This would be no different than the "Learn to Run" programs offered to adults who have never run, at your local running club. Warm-up + an easy interval or walk/run on an accommodating surface. 2x/week. As above, continue with regular training minus 10% in regular shoes.
3) SLOWLY PROGRESS or continue using this type of training as an implement to improve your running form.

Some important questions to ask:

1) What type of foot does this person have.
2) Have they been running in motion control shoes, stability shoes, neutral or racing flats?
2) Lower extremity alignment and function (i.e. anteverted femur, poor proprioception/balance, weak hip abductors, etc.)
3) Technique (do they actually know how to run with good form?)
4) Previous injuries
5) Weekly training load (training intensity x volume)

dominic412

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Happy Camper

I started running barefoot several months ago. The transition was not pleasant but hey I wanted to join see what the hype was all about. I started by running around the house on bare feet then bought a pair of VFF's and went on a 2 mile walk and slowly increased the distance. Now, I'm just enjoying the freedom of running with a pair of barefoot running shoes and even on bare feet.

In fact, I'm in the market now for a new pair of shoes. Saw the new Vibram Bikila at http://barefootrunningshoes.org/2010/07/12/vibram-bikila-unboxing-and-first-impressions/ and I'm thinking how cool it would look on me. But I heard it's super hard to find one of these nowadays."

roco1x

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Just did the Mailbu Bulldog 25k in my VIBRAM KSO Treks

Like anything the answer is ultimately subjective - do they work for you. I started with the plain Vibrams which I wore on the plane as I fly a lot.

I found them very comfortable so I bought a pair of KSOs which I use of a 5 mile mixed trail/sand/pavement - same deal - loved them.

Bought a pair of the KSO Treks - the rouged trail version and just did a very tough 25k and they felt great.

I do marathons and ultra's - I am not sure I want to try them at that distance yet. I've been using them for about 6 months now - wear them mostly for casual walks - shorter runs (5miles) - sand - and gym.

What I have found.

I love wearing them - walking around and shorter runs. I've rediscovered why I have toes and feel like I have super balance.

I love them for my Muay Thai workouts

They are comfortable and you get use to putting them on fast.

The biggest problems I have is because I don't wear socks - no need - they get smelly so you have to wash them a lot - but its kinda easy.

The attention I get - yes they look a little funny - and everybody asks about them and honestly I just want to be left alone in my Vibrams.

I would say start with the KSOs - which are readily available now - got mine at REI - see where you go from there. Will they work for you - I can't say - I really like them and do recommend you try them.

And if you're posting on a mac forum you can afford the price lol - which isn't that bad comparatively.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I think they are very intriguing. I wouldn't be running in them (a few years of running on concrete put a stop to my knees :(), but I'd like to ask you guys - can you wear them as just regular go-about-your-everyday-business shoes? I'm thinking during the summers, to and from work (walking on sidewalks), shopping, errands, housework etc. I think they might be just a tad too far-out to get away with at my job :p, but otherwise I would love to try them.

And I'm a little confused by all the descriptions on their site. In your experiences, are there certain models that are better for everyday use? Some of them seem very specific for certain types of activities.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
if you are just going to use them as day-to-day shoes you're probably better off with some cheap thin flip flops. they achieve the same effect for a good deal less.

but yes, you can use them for day-to-day shoes. i wore my Sprints around on campus and Walmart trips pretty often after i run in the morning. all models are suitable for walking/running. i've since wore a hole through the forefoot and now i'm starting on a pair of Bikilas. i think i like the Sprints better without all fabric covering my foot.

i wouldn't recommend any of the models for climbing and bouldering because the rubber is too soft and too thin. any type of shmearing would kill the soles pretty quick. less than perfect technique would do it too probably.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I think they are very intriguing. I wouldn't be running in them (a few years of running on concrete put a stop to my knees :(), but I'd like to ask you guys - can you wear them as just regular go-about-your-everyday-business shoes? I'm thinking during the summers, to and from work (walking on sidewalks), shopping, errands, housework etc. I think they might be just a tad too far-out to get away with at my job :p, but otherwise I would love to try them.

And I'm a little confused by all the descriptions on their site. In your experiences, are there certain models that are better for everyday use? Some of them seem very specific for certain types of activities.

I use my KSO's as everyday shoes . they are very comfortable and if i am wearing the black ones most people do not even notice them. I do get interesting looks and questions when wearing the colored ones

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Funny you should ask. After being intrigued by them for a while, I bought a pair - and love them. I now have about 7 pairs, and I wear them almost exclusively all summer/fall. I have MUCH better balance in them, and don't twist my ankles anymore. I figure it's because the muscles in and around my feet/ankles are allowed to work as they were intended to.

Reactions: Zxxv

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Funny you should ask. After being intrigued by them for a while, I bought a pair - and love them. I now have about 7 pairs, and I wear them almost exclusively all summer/fall. I have MUCH better balance in them, and don't twist my ankles anymore. I figure it's because the muscles in and around my feet/ankles are allowed to work as they were intended to.

I go barefoot as often as possible. Walking in woods too where I actually think any discomfort is a positive feedback experience haha
Some places mostly city's I think the vibrams would be useful to me and running on woods.

Just that it appears many have moved away from them and onto adidas boost technology. (From scouring the Internet)

That's why I'm asking :)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
are people still wearing these all these years later?
I bought a pair last year, but quickly returned them. They hurt my feet. Probably because I'm not used to them?

I got a pair of similar Nikes and they've been good for me. Great for working out and running

maxresdefault.jpg

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I bought a pair last year, but quickly returned them. They hurt my feet. Probably because I'm not used to them?

I got a pair of similar Nikes and they've been good for me. Great for working out and running

maxresdefault.jpg

cool :)

I looked at nike free which led me to readng adidas boost is a better material than in other brands. One review even said they used a well worn pair of adidas boost against brand new pairs of other brands and the worn adidas boost was better :O

It went on to say adidas boost material doesn't break down but the other brands do because they are a different material. Course this doesn't apple to vibram five fingers.

As you can tell I've been running round (pun haha) reviews a lot the last few days :( headspin headache time haha

jonfordaz

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I've completed one open marathon, two ironman races and dozens of other triathlons and road races using them. You definitely need to transition into them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.