Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 160

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
kidA said:
the best mockups are at http://www.applele.com

i know!! that site is incredible. apple should really consider hiring him as a designer, even though some of his designs would not be possible (i.e. the speakers in that powerfulbook r6 (may '04) would not be a good design choice, as people would use them to store food, paperclips, maybe even a water fountain etc..

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I always enjoy seeing concept designs and mock-ups - thanks everyone for the links! The nice thing is, Apple has an amazing team of designers as it is, so although some of these concepts are pretty cool, you know that the Apple engineers always come up with their own cool deisgns as well which aren't too far off. :cool:

some of those designs are really good!!! i wouldnt mind buying a machine that looked like that!!! if these are people just making designs on their free time, i can only imagine what the people who are paid to do are coming up with. of course my optimism is tempered by the fact u that the internal engineering has to be considered

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Chip NoVaMac said:
I would love to see this as the new iMac G5:

http://homepage.mac.com/matano/gallery/emac.jpg

so you would like your iMac to look as a AL ShoppingBag???

I'd like to see a new version of iMac based on the concept of the 20th ann. mac... probably not in AL since thats for the 'power' series, but with much better specs ;-)

just imagine having a slightly thicker 20" flatpanel with everything in there in the back, connectors on the side and an i/powerbook type of combo/superdrive built in. allso standard BT built-in and delivered with apple's BT desktop, mayb a wireless audiosystem, so no cables to attach, only one powercable and it's ready to run that would be nice and clean & since I don't like the sphere & arm on the iMac now I think this could look nice

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
I can picture that right now! Its just so pretty, i mean a plat panel screen with all the guts of the Imac or Ibook built in behind it *drules* cumon guys use your imaginations ;). It would be awesum and with the wireless desktop it would be on apples best seller list in no time! Especially if they got the G5 in there! Though i don't expect that it would be cheep!

Mark.

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Jo-Kun said:
just imagine having a slightly thicker 20" flatpanel with everything in there in the back, connectors on the side and an i/powerbook type of combo/superdrive built in. allso standard BT built-in and delivered with apple's BT desktop, mayb a wireless audiosystem, so no cables to attach, only one powercable and it's ready to run that would be nice and clean & since I don't like the sphere & arm on the iMac now I think this could look nice
so basically you just want one of these gateway machines.

steve jobs said when the last imac was released that apple would never design a computer like this because the only space conscious way to put the optical drive behind the LCD is to do exactly what that gateway i linked to did: situate the drive vertically. steve said apple would never do this because vertical is not the natural position for an optical drive--horizontal is. it slows read time and is a bit cumbersome--no one likes messing with the kind of drive where you have to pop the CD onto the little mount (like a laptop tray drive). plus if it's on the side its not as easy to access and might be tougher to reach.
if i had to make a guess, i'd say the new imac is going to look like the current one with some major cosmetic changes. but the current imac is a great design for a lot of reasons: it puts it optical drive in an accessible, horizontal position; it has a small footprint; the ports are accesible; it packs a lot of stuff into a pretty small area and has room for cooling and the like; the screen is easy to situate so that it's comfortable to look at. the design you proposed goes against all these things: makes the optical drive vertical, forces everything into an even small area, and behind the LCD no less, giving less room for cooling, makes the screen itself heavy and cumbersome to move to a comfortable position. your idea goes against most of what is highly ergonomic and useable about the current iMac. if you want a G5 in there, i hate to tell you, but there is no chance that the new imac will look like your proposal.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
heheh. I like the idea of having a LCD screen somewhat like the current screens. They are cute and to have a computer built into them would be a nice touch. But i'll conseed to your points since they are very good ones. Its a shame it couldnt be though, since from a cute point of view it works very well IMO :D.

As for having the computer built into a screen, what were preposing isnt too bad, i mean look at the emac or old imacs with the screens built in. We just want a flat screen ;).

A boy can deam heheh, but i'm sure whatever apple comes up with will be very stylish and very cool!

Mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.