Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modernpixel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2005
New York, NY
I've been dealing with the chirping battery of my Dual 2 G5 (first gen) for a while. But it has gotten TOTALLY out of control. It's so loud that my roomate asked where the sound was coming from (while a good 6 feet away from the computer.)

I'm still under Apple Care protection and want the problem fixed. Has anyone called Apple on this and gotten their computer fixed?

If so -- what was their attitude towards it, and did you have to fight to get them to take it in? I know there is a battery replacement, but I don't feel that I should have to lug my machine to an Apple store nor pay for the part. They put in a defective unit, they should pay to replace it.

Thanks,
Joe

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Two big threads on the official Apple Support Forums on this. Apple apparently hasn't acknowledged the problem, although some technical users are fairly certain they've narrowed the problem down to the PSU. Some have simply swapped multiple machine after machine to take care of the issue. Setting your Energy Savings to "Highest" solves for some; apparently the machine doesn't do it when under more load?

Anyway, you should check those threads out. Lots of info there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.