Has anyone sold or bought a car on ebay?

Discussion in 'Community' started by anneleonard, Sep 13, 2003.

1. anneleonard macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2003
    Reading, UK (a.k.a. Strongbadia)
    My car isn't worth a lot (a silver Fiat Punto 55SX), even though its only 7 years old, and it needs some serious maintenance (i.e. the exhaust & Cat has fallen off!). What with the the possibility of me (living in the UK :rolleyes: ) having to pay someone to take it off my hands, I was thinking of selling it on ebay. Has anyone done this? Did you get a good price for it? Also, its not really drivable in its state (unless people like to drive a car which does an uncanny impression of a lawnmower and likes avoiding the police). So someone can't just arrive and drive it away, so what kind of collection should I suggest? Post and packaging is kinda out of the question! I also need to know what payment method/arrangement is best, as I don't want to take someone's money before they see the car, as its not very fair if they don't like it, or something else is a problem.

Any tips for me? :D
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    If you stick it in Loot, it will sell if it's got a realistic price, and your descripton is honest!

Alternatively if it's just the exhaust and cat, get them replaced and sell it as a going concern you might make a bit, Punto's are still in demand for cheap run abouts, or is there more wrong with it??

Alternatively go down to any McDonalds car park on a Sunday night, where all the saddo boy racers hang out because they're far too cool to be doing anything else with their time, and see if you can sell it there.... they're always looking for something cheap to aesthetically ruin...

Or maybe donate it to your local fire station as they normally take cars off you so they can practice stuck passenger accident routines.
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I sold my stepdad's '89 Ford F-150 on ebay a few years ago. A guy up in Nebraska flew down to pick it up & drive it back home.

Put lots of photos of it up. We also named anything of interest that a buyer would want to know: mileage, new parts, records, etc. Think about the things u will want to know before buying a vehicle, and take it a step further. ;)

Also, it helps out a lot to have really quick & good communication when it comes to people asking questions & such. We must have answered 40 emails that week during the auction. :eek: :D
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    never bought or sold, but have wanted to buy before-- it's the only place i can find the Suzuki X-90. which i *will* have. i'll be interested to hear ebaymotors opinions :)

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    My brother just bought a 98 Jetta from Ashtabula, Ohio. No major things wrong that weren't listed, (passenger side door didn't open, but that was fixed quickly).

Just my $.02