Has anyone successfully installed Mandrake 9 on a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by starflyer 59, Feb 19, 2003.

1. starflyer 59 macrumors newbie

I have tried to install it several times, but I am unable to get the install to work correctly. I can see that there is a graphic for me to go through, but the resolution is completely screwed. Does anyone have Madrake 9 up and running on a Powerbook?

Thanks

2. brdoco macrumors member

can you even run mandrake on a mac? I thought YellowDog (www.yellowdoglinux.com) was the only mac-compatible distro.

btw, good band..

3. starflyer 59 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, mandrake distributes a ppc version. i love denison marrs.... to get off subject, what other bands do you like?

4. f-matic macrumors member

try looking for a xf86config-4

i set up debian a while back on a pb g4/400. the resolution was screwy but i tracked down someone else's functional XF86Config-4 file off the internet. i think mandrake has the same deal - the configuration for X11 is in /etc/X11, so do a google search for the right config file for your G4 then put it in the /etc/X11/ directory... worked for me at least!

good luck setting it up,

best,
    np

5. brdoco macrumors member

uhh... david crowder band, chris tomlin, 10 shekel shirt, 3day, benjamin gate, charlie hall, delerious, superchick.. and even some dakoda motor co here and there.

6. i_wolf macrumors regular

Gentoo also have a mac version available. Although it isn't as easy to install... (you will be fine if you follow the instructions !) it has a fantastic ports system like FreeBSD, has less bloat than mandrake 9 and generally will run faster than other linux distro's since it is optimized heavily around your system.
    Check it out www.gentoo.org
    Kind Regards,
    i_wolf

7. yzeater macrumors regular

I saw Crowder in concert a month ago. They were amazing!! Oh yeah, and Superchick is coming to my school in April :)

8. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

I dont think that linux is as efficent running on the PPC architecture as they had some problems while thaey were porting it, i cant remember what they were but they did have to make some scrifices, oh well i guess that means that x86 kinux is still exellent. I love that OS (but red hat annoys me)...

9. brdoco macrumors member

i got to see crowder at southeast (i think) a couple months ago. right now, passion is booking another tour, similar to the experience tour i think, with crowder, tomlin, and hall. rumor has it, my church has put a bid in on being a venue.. :)

where do you go to school..?

10. yzeater macrumors regular

11. brdoco macrumors member

I had meant the name of your school... but i guess the geographic location is cool too.

12. yzeater macrumors regular

13. brdoco macrumors member

superchick played your high school..? that's pretty cool. back in the day, sixpence played my high school.

14. guitargeek macrumors regular

After all the trouble I had getting Gentoo installed on my machine, I'd hate to have to try to figure out how to get it to work on a foreign hardware base (even if it has been ported succesfully).