Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
I use the phone I use because it works for me.
Now, I use all four major platforms. iOS, Android, Windows, and BlackBerry. BUT aside from iOS, the others are things I play with, not things I depend on.
I tried the otter platforms not because anyone convinced me; rather, curiosity. And the only one I won't do without is iOS.
That was just what I was thinking I had the gs6 I would spend most of my time wiping it setting things up messing about with setting and could never get it right. The iPhone just works it's so simple

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Curiosity has gotten the better of me and I am wondering if anyone switched from Apple iPhone to android/Samsung or switched from Samsung to Apple iPhone based on what people on here have posted. I am curious if what appears to be 50% or more of the posts and threads on here have any use at all, or are simply people patting themselves on the back for their wonderful choice of phone.
Without a doubt this forum was directly responsible for selling my iPhone 6 and upgrading to a Samsung S6. It happened because of the unbelievable number of childish posts about how horrible the iPhone 6 was due to only having one gig of RAM. Lots of other petty complaining led me to the conclusion I was better off elsewhere. I don't run into this child like attitudes on the Samsung forum.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Up to 1,100 views now, still no yes I switched because of what someone told me in forum.
I don't understand why you would base it off of views. Because wouldn't it generate a view each time somebody looks at the thread? So at the time of your post it was 1,100 views. I've viewed this thread probably 3-4 times. Therefore if others did the same thing the numbers wouldn't be accurate at all. Unless it only generates views once per username, however I don't always login to browse this forum. Either way a poll would've made more sense but using views as a measurement seems absurd to me.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Perhaps adding a poll may of been beneficial.
Nah, look at the other polls. There are some where the side comments outnumber the votes. If this thread proves anything, it proves that some people value their opinion above all else. And will take any and every opportunity to tell you their opinion, regardless if you want to hear it or not.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I don't understand why you would base it off of views. Because wouldn't it generate a view each time somebody looks at the thread? So at the time of your post it was 1,100 views. I've viewed this thread probably 3-4 times. Therefore if others did the same thing the numbers wouldn't be accurate at all. Unless it only generates views once per username, however I don't always login to browse this forum. Either way a poll would've made more sense but using views as a measurement seems absurd to me.
Could care less about dead accurate numbers, which a top listed poll would not generate either. Pick whatever you want 1100 to 1, 600 to 1, 300 to 1 for my purposes it boils down to the same thing. And that is;

Zealots and people with super strong opinions in either direction do not seem to have any effect on what phones people use. Nor do they induce others to switch their choice of phone.

If 200 or 300 hundred people had said they changed their phone based on what some zealot for the opposite phone had said on hear, then yes, I would accept the argument that the numbers might be less than statistically accurate. But then I would have come to the conclusion that purswasive arguments pro or con for a brand of phone do have an effect on here. That however is NOT the case.

Think of it as flipping a coin. If it came up 99% heads or 99% tails, I would suspect that coin. Would not need statistics or care if it was 98% or 97%. I would know something is Influencing the coin. If it comes up both ways about half, I may do a study to see if it was truelly 50/50 and then the numbers would be very important.

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Without a doubt this forum was directly responsible for selling my iPhone 6 and upgrading to a Samsung S6. It happened because of the unbelievable number of childish posts about how horrible the iPhone 6 was due to only having one gig of RAM. Lots of other petty complaining led me to the conclusion I was better off elsewhere. I don't run into this child like attitudes on the Samsung forum.
So you based your choice of phone not on the merits of the phone but rather on how many childish posts are in various forums? That is interesting. Would never have thought to base my choice of a given product on adulteress of forum posters. I have to think about that for a while.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
images.jpeg

... for multiple reasons. Mostly for OP, who seems a very reasonable individual. Always refreshing. Can't say I would put this much typing into the same topic myself, but I appreciate it.

As for the original question (polling's closed!), the answer is NO. Most forums are going to include the worst of the problems rather than the benefits. So much of the time it is only the people who complain who are heard, while the satisfied people continue to be satisfied (until they do a software update). But then, I've not purchased a new phone in 6 years, so I might be an outlier. ;)

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
So you based your choice of phone not on the merits of the phone but rather on how many childish posts are in various forums? That is interesting. Would never have thought to base my choice of a given product on adulteress of forum posters. I have to think about that for a while.
That was not my total reason, just a large part. I really don't think this thread has any validity. Anyone who switches to Android is not going to continue hanging around here. I check back in once a month just for giggles is how I found this thread. There really isn't that much difference between the top of the line iPhone and the top of the line Samsung so forums are an important part of the buying decision.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
View attachment 602893
... for multiple reasons. Mostly for OP, who seems a very reasonable individual. Always refreshing. Can't say I would put this much typing into the same topic myself, but I appreciate it.

As for the original question (polling's closed!), the answer is NO. Most forums are going to include the worst of the problems rather than the benefits. So much of the time it is only the people who complain who are heard, while the satisfied people continue to be satisfied (until they do a software update). But then, I've not purchased a new phone in 6 years, so I might be an outlier. ;)
LOL......I guess we each have an obsession at times. For several reasons mine has been answering the question I had. I think what got me so into it was my original post being sensored and removed. I use a politically incorrect noun, descriptive and accurate, but not allowed. I'm not supposed to even say this as it's also against the rules. But I throw caution to the wind, as I have my answer now and and a couple more interesting observations.

And yes I would say you are an outlier. In this day and age 6 years with one phone is remarkable. Realizing I may be sticking a hornet's nest with a stick, may I ask which phone and did you need any service done to it like new battery during those 6 years.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
That was not my total reason, just a large part. I really don't think this thread has any validity. Anyone who switches to Android is not going to continue hanging around here. I check back in once a month just for giggles is how I found this thread. There really isn't that much difference between the top of the line iPhone and the top of the line Samsung so forums are an important part of the buying decision.
I see a variety of valid reasons and types of people that come to this forum.
- Some come to show off their pride and joy. This I understand as a form of fellowship. Being of the tribe so to speak. This is explained by millions of years of evolution.
- Others come to spread the gospel of the other phone. This I find remarkable as why would they care. But for them still valid as they have deep validation anxiety and need to reinforce their own decision by deriding the decisions of others that differ from theirs.
- Some come to be disruptive and spread seeds of ranker as a form of amusement. Also understood, and I feel sorry for them as they must be lonely and without much direction in life.
- Some come with legitimate questions seeking knowledge and answers. Makes the most sense. And I would think the main reason the forum was created, I hope.
- Some come to share their knowledge and experience for which I applaud them.
- And some come out of curiosity and amusement. As this forum can be very entertaining at times.

Reactions: Goatllama

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
And yes I would say you are an outlier. In this day and age 6 years with one phone is remarkable. Realizing I may be sticking a hornet's nest with a stick, may I ask which phone and did you need any service done to it like new battery during those 6 years.
Never fear, I'm no hornets nest, more like a half-awake cat. I have the Verizon Dare, and I've not had any kind of service or battery replacement, though I bought an extra battery just in case, it was $2 on Amazon.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
That was just what I was thinking I had the gs6 I would spend most of my time wiping it setting things up messing about with setting and could never get it right. The iPhone just works it's so simple
Yup.
A lot of people talk down the simplicity of the iPhone. As if it were a flaw.
Look, my life is complicated enough. I don't want to have to battle with my phone to get it right how I like it. You hit it dead right. Its simplicity is what I appreciate.

Reactions: EvilKittyCupcake

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As if the internet and anonymous human behavior becomes significantly different just because a different URL is in play.

Reactions: HEK and Goatllama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.