Has Anyone Tried Battlefield 2142 on the MacBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Oct 18, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    If so how well does it do? Is it worth my purchase?

my specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz
    2GB RAM

Of course I'm talking about Bootcamp.
  2. aholden12592 macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2006
    i'm guessing not. but try the demo. but if bf2 has problems im guessing that 2142 won't be any better
  3. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

Feb 18, 2006
    nope, it won't work. well atleast not playable
  4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Not go go off topic, anyone tried it on a MacBook Pro?
  5. SHIVER macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2007
    Hey, did you use Bootcamp or Parallels?
    I heard Bootcamp was way better for Game playing and to not even bother trying it with Parallels.

I just got my DC 2.0GHZ Macbook w 1gig ram and am looking for Windows to install so I haven't tried it yet with the demo.
    nope, it won't work. well atleast not playable
    -Macbook pro, 1.83 ghz,1 gig, 100g7200 rpm,
    -iPod 20 gig 4g b/w.
    -and an old dell xps for BF2
  6. RustyGonzo macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2007
    Really, it's not about what software you're using (i.e. BootCamp or Parallels), because that's not what controls whether or not your computer can play a game. It's the hardware, primarily.

So, long story short... judging by the graphics controllers in both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, the MBP with 256MB of SDRAM is the only one that can play BF2142 or BF2.

People HAVE played BF2142/BF2 on a MacBook Pro with (don't quote me on this, because this is only information I've gained from Google searches) medium to low settings with good frame-rates. However, I don't think a MacBook could even do low settings with the card it has.

I hope that helps. :D
  7. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2006
    actually it is the software more because its going to be worse in an emulated enviornment than a sraight install of windows through bootcamp, but inside bootcamp, it is the hardware that matters
  8. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    The GMA 950 is not officially compatible with BF, but it could be with some tweaking.
  9. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
  10. amtctt macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2006
    i would just download the demo and check that out. my guess is that it will have a tough time even with everything set on low, but i don't know for sure.
  11. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    I used to play BF2 all the time on my MBP with no problems with settings a little above the middle values. I don't think that BF2142 is all that much more graphically taxing than BF2 but I've never played it so I can't say for sure. I removed boot camp a while ago and moved over to parallels as my 360 has become my gaming machine du jour.
  12. SHIVER macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2007

Just thought I'd let you know my experience here.
    In short I coulnd't get it to even launch!

I have the NEWEST model Macbook, 2.0 GHZ dual core, 1 Gig Ram.
    Installed Windows XP using Bootcamp, then the mac drivers to get the sound working.

Installed DIRECTX9 as well as suggested ( did this AFTER the first time it didn't work ) and checked for that .dll file in the system32 folder as well.

Once it's installed, I launch and immediately get the window.
    "BF2142.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." etc. weith a huge error report that I can't type out.

Tried it WITHOUT DirectX9, and with...same thing.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong..ie any specific SETUP that will work first?

13. sammycl macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    help me (battlefield 2142)

i'm about to get a mac lappy and was wondering if they can play battlefield 2142 without any tweaking:confused:
  14. amtctt macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2006
    MBP yes, MB, probably not.
  15. sammycl macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
  16. Masher500 macrumors member

Sep 12, 2006
    Dana Point
    I play bf2 and 2142 on my mbp, but on a mb i dont think the graphics card can hold up. :apple:
  17. sammycl macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    damn wat if i get a mbp how much more
  18. sammycl macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007

can you change a graphics card in a macbook???:confused: