Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I was thinking of signing up for MLB.com's MLB TV package (not sure Premium vs Regular) & was wondering if anyone on MacRumors has used it this year on their Mac?
MLB.com says it supports Mac & will use Windows Media Player, but I wanted to hear if people had trouble with it being slow and if the image quality is good.
Before I plop down the $90+, I wanted to get some personal testimonials from other Mac users.

Thanks a TON in advance!

Idioteque

macrumors member
May 5, 2005
I just bought it the other day, had to download flip4mac in order for the streams to work. It is a free download. I find that the software works better in FF than in safari.

Hope that helps.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
How is the quality? Does it go full screen? And how does that Mosaic thingy work on a Mac? Does it run through quicktime via FlipforMac, or the FlipforMac standalone player, or is it its own app?

Sorry, so many questions!!!

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
First of all, thanks to Idioteque for the feedback.

How is the quality? Does it go full screen? And how does that Mosaic thingy work on a Mac? Does it run through quicktime via FlipforMac, or the FlipforMac standalone player, or is it its own app?

Sorry, so many questions!!!

Funny, I had the same f/u questions!
The Premium service overall looks very good; I'm just wary of what function(s) won't be supported on the Mac network.
Still, as long as the picture quality is reasonably good, I think this is probably the easiest way for me to catch the Astros' games.

The other benefit compared to DirectTV's MLB TV deal is that I can log on to my computer at work for day games & follow the action.

Thanks for your help!

Idioteque

macrumors member
May 5, 2005
Hey guys, I have not used the mosiac feature. That is part of the premium MLB.TV package. I attached a screen shot of FF using the software. Sorry it is not of in game action, but there was no live games going on.

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    152 KB · Views: 136

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Weird..I was thinking about this earlier b/c I got my email from mlb TV sating it's time for me to renew my annual subscription. I ended up requesting non-renewal b/c when I tried to watch a spring training game, I got a pop-up in Firefox saying I needed to install missing plugins, but then it couldn't find any. I tried installing Windows Media Player 9 for Mac, but that didn't help either... I also installed flip4mac, but all I get is audio (trying to watch an archive of a spring training game), & the player window doesn't show anything other than the MLB logo & player conmtrols. Not gonna spend $80 (chrage for renewing subscribers) if I can't watch it on my Mac. My Windows laptop will be either given to my sister, or donated to a local charity..

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I ended up requesting non-renewal b/c when I tried to watch a spring training game, I got a pop-up in Firefox saying I needed to install missing plugins, but then it couldn't find any...Not gonna spend $80 (chrage for renewing subscribers) if I can't watch it on my Mac.

That's unfortunate!
Do you know if MLB.TV offers any kind of trial period?
Or is it essentially, try the demos before you pay, because once the money is gone, too bad?!

Thanks again!

p.s. One more follow-up question for those who have used the service before. I have a PB 15", but am thinking about buying an external monitor to have greater screen real estate for viewing.
What size screens did people use?

Scorpius

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
I believe there are some free videos you can click on to test it out before you buy. Won't be live games, but there should be something on the site that allows you to check it out.

I've loved my MLB TV sub the last couple of seasons and I hope I can make it work when I purchase my MBP soon. Being able to watch the last 2 innings of so many games is a very cool thing!

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I can actually watch video now through mlb tv, but I can't figure out how to go full screen on my MBP. When I've watched games in the past on my windows laptop, the player window had options for making the video go full screen...

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
MLB.TV works fine on a mac. I use it on my Powerbook all the time. There is a thread with all sorts of info on this. Search for it.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
MLB.TV works fine on a mac. I use it on my Powerbook all the time. There is a thread with all sorts of info on this. Search for it.

Thanks for the reply - I'm definitely leaning towards signing up.
Do you watch them on the PB, or do you have an external monitor that you use?

FYI, I did try to search using "MLB TV" and "MLB" but did not find any recent relevant threads.
Sorry if this is a duplication.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for the reply - I'm definitely leaning towards signing up.
Do you watch them on the PB, or do you have an external monitor that you use?

FYI, I did try to search using "MLB TV" and "MLB" but did not find any recent relevant threads.
Sorry if this is a duplication.

Here is the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/185173/

I usually watch them on my Powerbook. I recently bought a new HDTV and I am going to pick up a dvi to HDMI cable to try and run it to the TV. I am not sure how it will look. Watching a 3 + hour baseball game on a laptop isn't ideal but since I live in a Boston and I am a Yankee fan I will take what I can get.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
I can actually watch video now through mlb tv, but I can't figure out how to go full screen on my MBP. When I've watched games in the past on my windows laptop, the player window had options for making the video go full screen...

I am typing this from memory so I might be a little off but you need Flip4Mac. Within the Flip4mac settings check the box that will make the game feed play in a separate window. Then if you have Quicktime Pro you can just set it to full screen. If you don't have Quicktime Pro there is a free widget out there that will allow you to set what ever is playing in quicktim eto full screen. You can get it here: http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=605

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.