Has anyone tried the HDMI output for surround?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sycho, Mar 25, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

sycho

I know that the SPDIF output will only pipe out PCM, even from 5.1 AAC files, but I was wondering if anyone has hooked an AppleTV to a receiver and tried to get discrete surround that way. But if you are going to try, then you will need to try either some HD trailers from Apple's site(not all trailers have 5.1), or a DVD you ripped and encoded with 5.1 AAC.

If the AppleTV doesn't support surround over HDMI, then this product has many flaws.

2. macrumors 68020

localoid

Some of you folks with the :apple: tvs interested in the surround sound question might want to look at this article, from which the following is quoted:

(Keep in mind the following is talking about iTunes itself, not Apple tv)

So, since :apple:tv relies on iTunes for its source (at least in the unhacked form) it appears the best you'll get (from standard iTunes "surround sound" content) is matrix-encoded stereo that *might* be able to be decoded via a Dolby Surround Pro Logic receiver. Still, it'd be interesting to hear if this much is possible...

...edited to add...

Here's a QuickTime 5.1 surround sound demo from Synk Audio that plays back in surround sound via a sound card with 6 discrete outs from within iTunes on my Mac... Maybe this would make a good 5.1 test file some folks with Apple TVs can try out...

3. macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I like HDMI ecause it only requires one cable.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sycho

That's great. Do have a receiver with HDMI inputs/switcher that you could try a multichannel AAC program?

5. macrumors 68020

localoid

Seems like you'd need two HDMI cables to realize 5.1 sound (and have a receiver w/Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoding via HDMI) like these diagrams indicate... or am I missing something here?

6. macrumors 65816

Yes, you do need two. It goes for the PS3 Uncompressed PCM audio. It only works through HDMI, so one HDMI cable from the ps3 to the receiver and another to the tv.