Has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamescwarren, Jun 9, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Please give me your ideas on this. Some of you might have seen my previous posts about my new MacBook and my Lexmark P4350 printer not working with it because the drivers on the included CD and on the website are not Intel compatible. I was wondering, has anyone tried this:

"OSx86 has universal binaries for all its pre-installed printer drivers. However, if your model doesn't have a pre-installed driver, you might be in a bit of a sticky situation. The problem is, even if you download your printers driver, it won't be listed in the driver list! That's because chances are the newly added driver is in PowerPC architecture. To fix this, right click "Printer Setup Utility" in Utilities, select "Get Info" and click "Open using Rosetta." Now, when you restart the setup utility, it will load PowerPC drivers in the driver list, and your newly added printer driver should now be visibly listed! Enjoy!"

If you have, does it work. If you havn't, do you think it will work?
    Thanks!

2. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

OK I just tried doing this and it couldn't have gone better! I installed the drivers for the printer from my CD, but once I had done that, I didn't even have to tick Printer Setup Utility with: Open with Rosetta! Weird! I thought that you couldn't use the drivers from a CD that are PowerPC based on an Intel Mac. Oh well. It works great!