Has anyone used D-link DI-614 w/Alu PB 15?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sheqman, Dec 9, 2003.

1. sheqman macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2003
    Just got a Alu 15PB a few weeks back and want to get a wireless network setup in a small NYC apartment. Looked at airport but seems ridiculously expensive. CNET recommends the D-Link DI-614 plus highly and I get it for 10 bucks after rebate at MacMall.

Do any of you out there use this and if so what do you think?
  2. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    I've never used the 614 but I use a 714 with my PB. I'm not sure what the difference is.

The d-link products work great with it. The only problem I see wireless is that if my router isn't broadcasting its SID the powerbook keeps losing it's connection. But that never happened with my OpenBSD system so I think it's an Apple problem, not a D-Link problem.

Other than that, the throughput saturates my DSL link, and I've got no problems with reception.
  3. madru macrumors member

Jun 11, 2003
    I haven't used 614, but I purchased di-624 and ended up returing this product. The receiption was terrible, I could only get usable receiption in the same room with the router, not to mention other problems (most of them had to do with this router performing poorly while in g+b mode). That said, 614 will most likely be a fine router in b mode; however, i doubt you'll get as good receiption as competitor products. If receiption is important, do more research before bying 614, otherwise look at some competitors. I settled with buffalo product, it's the best router i've owned.
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Im pretty sure the 614 is an 802.11b only model, or at least mine is. You might want to check out some other options for 802.11g routers. That being said, I have no problems with my D-Link router (DI-614+). It has good features like port forwarding, DMZ, customizable firewall etc...
  5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I've got a D-Link DI-614+ at home. It seems to work fine with my Mac as well as the PCs in the house. I've got SSID turned off, 40-bit WEP enabled and MAC filtering enabled.

I had some issues between the router and this Powerbook when I tried 128-bit WEP. Since (as I said already) the 40-bit worked, and there's no real security difference between the two WEP levels, it wasn't a significant problem for me.

Having said that: I would suggest you consider buying a newer router that does WPA instead of WEP. WPA doesn't have the inherent security problems that are present with WEP. D-Link has said they're going to backport WPA to all their wireless routers, but they haven't done it for the 614+ and I wouldn't recommend holding your breath until they do.