Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
If it asked for your AppleID, that was not Internet Recovery. Sounds like you just booted to Recovery HD and resinstalled, which will ask for your AppleID. Internet Recovery never asks for an AppleID.

just yesterday used ir and it downloaded and installed 10.8.3 on 2011mba, which was shipped with 10.7.2 pre-installed.. & before downloading it asked for apple id

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
just yesterday used ir and it downloaded and installed 10.8.3 on 2011mba, which was shipped with 10.7.2 pre-installed.. & before downloading it asked for apple id

Like I said, that was not Internet Recovery and the fact that you were asked for an AppleID proves it. Internet Recovery and a reinstall from the Recovery HD partition are not the same thing. There is a long, boring article here that explains the difference.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Wow, I didn't know internet recovery was so slow. :eek:

So clean installing from OS X recovery partition (instead of Internet Recovery) would still give me OS X 10.8.3? Or the only sure way to clean install 10.8.3 is to make a new USB installer?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Wow, I didn't know internet recovery was so slow. :eek:

It has to DL the entire 4.7GB image over the Internet, so yeah... if you don't have a fast connection, it can take a looong time.

So clean installing from OS X recovery partition (instead of Internet Recovery) would still give me OS X 10.8.3? Or the only sure way to clean install 10.8.3 is to make a new USB installer?

As long as you erase Macintosh HD at the start, either method will give you a clean install.

eyepea

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
10.8.3 came through Internet recovery for me when I did a fresh install on my Mac mini 2011 server a few days ago, but at the same time I did my Mac mini 2012 i7 2.6 quad and it loaded up 10.8.2. I then had to update to 10.8.3 via software update. I am guessing the 2012 mm was treated differently because of the fusion drive. It has a special version of disk utility.

With both of those processes I hade a completely wiped drive and did ir via cmd-opt-r.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
10.8.3 came through Internet recovery for me when I did a fresh install on my Mac mini 2011 server a few days ago, but at the same time I did my Mac mini 2012 i7 2.6 quad and it loaded up 10.8.2. I then had to update to 10.8.3 via software update. I am guessing the 2012 mm was treated differently because of the fusion drive. It has a special version of disk utility.

With both of those processes I hade a completely wiped drive and did ir via cmd-opt-r.

Your 2011 Mini would have come with Lion, and if it had really been Internet Recovery (IR), it would have installed Lion. I assume you had to enter your AppleID to get Mountain Lion?

The command-option-r boot seems inconsistent from machine to machine. It is supposed to go to IR, but for some machines it seems to detect there is already a working Recovery HD present, so it just boots off of that, which in your case is a Mountain Lion Recovery HD and that reinstalls Mountain Lion.

This issue is mentioned in the article I linked in my earlier post.

This keeps coming up when people are trying to get back to Lion to sell their Macs. Sometimes IR works to get back to Lion, and for other Macs it just refuses and boots off Recovery HD. The sure way to get back to Lion is to boot from an external USB key or similar and erase the entire drive (not just Macintosh HD), so the Mountain Lion Recovery HD is gone. Then it works like it should.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Yes, either one would.

Thanks Weaselboy! I have one more trick question: We know that the OS X recovery lets us clean install OS X, which means it probably has the full installer built in (it doesn't download it from internet) but How does a 650MB recovery partition store a 4.44 GB Mountain Lion installer?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks Weaselboy! I have one more trick question: We know that the OS X recovery lets us clean install OS X, which means it probably has the full installer built in (it doesn't download it from internet) but How does a 650MB recovery partition store a 4.44 GB Mountain Lion installer?

All the 650MB Recovery HD partition contains is a boot stub and some utilities like Disk Util. It does not contain the full installer. It just allows you to download it from Apple's servers over the Internet.

MacLorenz

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Full download 10.8.3 will give you also iTunes 11 (compared to iTunes 10 on 10.8.2). This is not the case, if you only update to 10.8.3 from 10.8.2.
You might consider this as well.

Thats interesting. I did a complete reformat and full install from my USB drive and still had to download the update of iTunes 11. It was not an update, so what gives Isamilis ?

So, if you perform a clean install of 10.8.3 do you get iTunes 11 or 10.7?
I want to be sure coz i hate iTunes 11
Tx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.