Has anyone with 15" MacBook Switched to 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teerexx52, May 14, 2006.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro week 15 with no whine or noise. However it does get warm. I was wondering if anyone has switched from the 15" to the 17" and any comments they may have. i am especially interested in the heat factor but also impressions of size after the switch. Is the screen that much better or not at all? Has anyone taken the 17" to work of class? Does it feel all that different from the 15? I appreciate the comments. Thanks

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I switched from a 15" to a 17:. I've had both sizes in the past as well, but this time, there is much less heat, the screen is to die for, it's not that much extra weight carrying it around. It's just more awkward if I'm walking around the house when it's open. I've also used the 17" in my last few classes (of my LIFE...graduate in a matter of days!) and no problems, just set it on my lap instead of those little desks they give you. It's probably my favorite Apple notebook I've ever used (I've owned every revision 15" Aluminum and 1 Rev C 17")

3. TC1 macrumors newbie

I just switched from a 15" MBP rev D, and also purchased a 15 MBP for my parents which is now having problems (heat, airport, bluetooth issues) and has to be taken in (rev a).

My 17" arrived on Friday. My 15" rev D was perfect. My 17" screen is complete crap compared to what my 15" was (uneven lighting, white stripe burn across the bottom). I'll be taking it in to get looked at, but I am dissapointed.

Depending on what rev your 15" is, you may want to hold off until the smoke clears a bit with the 17", unless you purchase one from an apple store that you can test beforehand. I would have kept my 15", but the extra fw800 port was too handy for work for me not to switch. Hopefully I can get the display issue resolved otherwise it's going back.

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I wanted too, but I couldnt justify hawking my 15 with none of the problems other are complaining about (it does get warm but its not as bad as others i think) and paying the difference.

5. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I'd say it all depends on the screen size that you prefer. I have heard a lot that the 17 inch screen is not quite as great as the 15, but that could be a load of crap, who knows. If you really like the 15 inch's size, and the only deal is it gets warm, I would say stick with it, you've got an awesome computer!

6. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i know evolcre switched from 15" when it was in getting repaired. congrats on graduating moviecutter!

7. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks. I think I will stay with this and maybe get a 20" ACD. They just gave me this one. I had taken my week 6 in for a new top case. After 2 hours they came out and said that after putting it back together it would no longer boot. So, they offered me q week 16. I can't see much difference but I never had any whine. It just got hot. So after hearing about some of the 17"s I'll stay with this and get the external monitor. Wonder if I will be able to resist a 23"???:)

8. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I might actually downsize from my 17" to a 15" sometime soon (don't want to carry around a 17" in college)

9. knifegun macrumors member

I upgraded to the 17" after returning 3 15" MBP. I love the 17" except for the display issue. I am sending my second 17" MBP for a third. I hope the white line across the bottom is resolved. Anybody else have the same issue with the 17"?

10. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

That would be me. :)

OK, I'm in a rush so don't mind typos or bad English (I actually got yelled at for that a few weeks ago ... )

Let me preface this by saying that my MBP 17 was sent back and I am waiting for a replacement. BUT, it was due to a bad video card, probably random, and nothing to do with the design of the computer. Just my luck. If you read the other thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=199235 you'll see me praising the 17" MBP and people thought it was funny since I had sent mine back as a DOA. :eek:

The 17" MBP is a FANTASTIC machine and definitely better than the 15". Compared to MBP15, the MBP17 runs a lot lot cooler. The heat had become a non issue. I did notice the screen was less bright. It is NOT a bad screen at all, I just thought the MBP15 had more 'wow' factor. This post explains the reason ... (actually, i can't find it but it was a great explanation. )

The main thing was size. I didn't really think the 17" was THAt much bigger than the 15" in terms of physical size. The increase in screen real estate more than made up for it. And, once I got used to the 17", there is no way in heck I could go back to the 15".

The way I see it, for true portability, I would have bought the 12". The 15" is allready pushing it in terms of portability and the 17" isnt that much bigger. For my needs, the 17" is the perfect size as a main machine that might need to be moved around once in a while. DVDs would look FANTASTIC. :)

I changed my order to the glossy screen last week. It should be here in a day or two and I can post some early reviews if you like.

Personally, I would (and did) make the switch and loved it. The lack of threads complaining about 17" issues really shows that this machine is better built than the 15 MBP. All in all, with the 15" I may have had buyers remorse, with the 17" I was thrilled.

Last point, 'cool' factor. MY little 12" G4 was cool. The 15MBP was ok, but the 17" is uber uber cool. There is no comparable PC laptop that has such a small form factor.

Do it ... get the 17", I don't think you'll regret it ...

eV