Has Anyone Worked on a Cruiseline Before?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Apr 26, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    It would seem like a cool job since you would get to travel, while working. Does anyone have any information on anything about this? Thanks guys!
  2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    I have not worked on a cruise line, but I have been on a couple of cruises, and asked the people working there what it was like.

You'll work hard. Real hard. However, I'm told that the crew parties are, well, 'fun.' :) You won't have too much time to 'see the world,' most likely, because while in port you'll probably be busy getting ready to leave port. Some shore leave occurs, though. It's short - even as a passenger.

Crew quarters are generally below the waterline or right at it on Carnival ships. You'll have a roommate, in a tiny room.

Most of the workers on the ship were not from the US, primarily because the ship didn't even pay US minimum wage for most jobs. That, by the way, is one reason why you won't find a US registered cruise ship.

That said, everyone seemed to be having fun, and I've worked with a couple of people who held jobs on ships, and they said it was a blast.
  3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
  4. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    there are other jobs than waiter and such...

the cruise lines look for americans for coordination jobs and recreation leaders....stuff like that.

i know that there are websites that set up americans with jobs on cruiselines as they can be hard to get directly from the cruiselines themselves.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't get fired while outside the US, since they have no duty to transport you once your employment ends, you'll find yourself watching the ship sail away.
  6. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    I'v been on a handful of cruises and talked to the employees.

They say that you don't actually get to leave the ship often because you are always working. You keep doing the same route for about 4 months. Imageine 4 months doing the same thing over and over agian and you dont get to see your family or friends.

I find the best service I'v had is one Celebrity. Most of the staff are all European and everyone is very friendly and they greet you by name :D
  7. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    You'll probably have to work 7 days a week. Have a look at http://www.cruisecrew.com/

Note: I've never used any of their services/products.
  8. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I heard they get limited internet usage working on cruise ships, since they have to use a dish for everything. AFAIK the crew on some lines only get email only.
  9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I talked to a worker on a cruise ship last summer about her job. She said you work 7 days a week for 11 monthes straught with almost never a break unless you are complemented a lot from customers and when they do get a day off- its like for a shift or a day. She was from the philippians and said she made good money compared to the majority of the population in her her country.

It seems like it would be a fun job but you would make much more money working as something in your own country and much less work.