Has Apple treated you BAD before?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wako, Aug 5, 2005.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    So I have probably joined this forum... mmm maybe a month now. I must say many things Ive seen it seems that Apple has been treating their customers poorly.

I have TECHNICALLY (still love my PC but now I just have a mistress ;)) switched on July 31st and Im VERY satisfied with my purchase. However in my opinion I think Apple has poor customer service, and in my experience in the store.

During my stay here it seems I'm not the only one. It seems like many people have experienced with poor service. I was just interested in hearing your story.

But first let me tell you mine... which I have already posted in a thread in the Advice Discussion board, thread titled I just bought my new ibook or something like that...

When I went to buy my system, my 12'' PB at first I was hoping to get a iBook 12.'' I waited around for quite awhile and had no service. At first I understood because when I went in there, there was ALOT of people in there. Understandingly I waited. After awhile I looked up to find the store somewhat empty, atleast emptier than when I had first set foot in the store. I looked around for an associate and couldn't find anyone to help me. Looked around and saw 3 guys just standing around in the back at the registers. So I was like... alright... walked up and they were just having a conversation with one another, no relevance to the store, customer, or anything. I asked if I could get some help. The guy stared at me (a very blank stare) and said, "What do you want?" I don't know about you but I work in retail, and my manager once told me that is a really rude thing to say, and I felt that when he said that to me, expecially when he said it to me. I was like whatever and asked my questions. I first asked about some HDD technical issues. At first he was very confused at what I was saying. Just to make it short though, he knew SQUAT of what he was talking about. I was asking if I could put a Hitachi 7200rpm HDD in an iBook and he was like "you have to order it online." I was like "dude, you guys don't even carry it," he got confused again. I had to tell him more. Anyways later on he didn't believe me that iBooks had a slower HDD and he wanted to look it up on the website. When we got to a computer he didnt even know where to look. I had to show him, when he saw it, he was like "uhh... oh," with an ignoramous attitude. At that point I just KNEW he didn't know anything. I started asking him about a few more technical stuff and he was totally going off a tangent. Anyways with this first employee he just blantly didnt know anything and was just making up BS as he went along. I just finally was like screw it! And went off.

When I finally decided with my father on which system I should buy I went to the register, told him what I wanted and he had to go bring it out. I personally don't like this fashion of selling because it just made me feel like I was at a fast food joint. I personally actually like the car salesman type of a thing where they walk you through everything, and its just that ONE GUY that is helping you throughout the whole time.

On another note though, if I EVER find a credit card that isnt mine and is a platinum, the FIRST store I will ever hit is that same apple store. When I bought it and handed him my credit card, he just swiped it and IMMEDIATELY gave it back to me. On my credit card it even says, "PLEASE SEE ID" on it. With big purchases like these or even some of the bigger ones, I just couldnt believe they don't bother checking IDs. Given many places don't check IDs or signatures, Im just shocked how they don't really think about credit fraud.

So... what are your experiences?
  2. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    I've kinda noticed that too..I get the impression Apple thinks it's untouchable now because of the iPod.

Little do they know, if people stopped buying the iPod..who would they rely on to get the money in? Us. They really do need to learn how to treat their customers. There would be NO iPod if we didn't spend vast amounts on their computers..

But anyway, I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid. (is that how you spell it? i'm english ;) )
  3. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    So you happened to meet ONE incompetent guy. You didn't even have any serious problems with Apple service, e.g. Apple refusing to exchange a product that's not working. Actually I'm under the impression that you're that kind of guy that walks into a computer show to show off..
  4. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    Im was just telling one of my experiences with them. I have had a few with my iPod before but I didnt really find it necessary.

This is also aside from the fact of plentiful posts in the forum of people having piss poor service from them.

But I don't find any reason to justify anything to you since you already have your mind set in stone.

Fan boys stretch on both sides of the spectrum

As for the apple thinking their super mighty and great, well I would think they are capitalizing on the iPod thing. However I do believe they are also making great strides in their other products. I remember the first time I touched a mac I hated it because of the feel of the OS. Now I really must say, its quite nice. One thing how I do hate about Macs are how everything has a prefix of "i" now. Its REALLY bugging me.
  5. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2003

Firstly, it is typically the case that when people get good service, they don't say much about it. The are happy, the product works, the sun is shining, they get on with their lives. When people get bad service, people complain. They complain everywhere they can. You can't judge the universality of service standards by the posts you see on internet forums - though what I do find interesting is that rather consistently, those who have had what they feel to be poor service tend to be very dismissive of those who subsequently state they have not.

It really doesn't matter much what Apple is capitalizing on though does it? They make stuff, people buy it. It's what manufacturers do. If the buying public think the iPod is a better product than any of the competition, it's because Apple make products people want. And once people want them, it would be commercial idiocy not to pursue that market. If Apple didn't do that, the board would find itself out of work pretty fast when the shareholders didn't get their money, and when the company sink into oblivion.

The reality is that Apple's service stanards are entirely in the eye of the beholder. What some feel is good, others will feel is bad. What is acceptable from a Walmart employee isn't acceptable from an Apple staffer. What is careless or downright rude phone support from Apple is normal and acceptable from Sony. So what?! We each of us make these judgements ourselves, and we each of us are free and able to make purchasing decisions afterwards as we see fit.
  6. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Aside from some snotty treatment in the stores, I've never had to call Applecare, so I've been treated very well.

I did take back an iPod once because of battery issues (less than a month old) and they swapped it out (and for a bigger 15GB model) straight away.

The minute they do, I pity the person on the other end of the phone. We all deserve, no matter what we spend to be treated well, but I'll be damned if I am going to drop 6 grand and get shuffled around.

Off topic, I know, but no, Apple has been good to me so far.
  7. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I was almost treated badly until i said a few things. Then they replaced my ibook and i got a powerbook for 500 dollars. ^^ just have to be able to word things correctly.
  8. pubwvj macrumors 68000

Oct 1, 2004
    Mountains of Vermont
    Apple has treated me very well for over 25 years. Yes, there exist people who have had problems. **** happens. But overall over the long haul Apple comes through time and again.

I hope you are joking.
  9. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    FYI: Most credit card companies have a policy that an unsigned card (incl. ones that say "see ID" or such) are not valid and should not be accepted by any merchant. However, I find the fact that more and more merchants nowadays are not even looking at the backs of cards is quite disturbing. I fear it may take some kind of major incident for this trend to be reversed. In the meantime, ask the cashier, politely, why they didn't check the card's back. Keeping quiet is not going to change anything.
  10. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2005
    I remember when my folks and I were going to our nearest Apple store (about 80 miles away). Anyways we got there and looked around had little help from the associates there but I knew what I wanted so it didn’t matter, I had my heart on the dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac with either the 20" or 23" display. I was trying to justify the 800 or so dollar difference between the two but my dad saw the 30" and said that's the one that we were getting. We tried to find someone to help us but it seemed like they were busy so we finally got a lady to help us, she took one look at my mother who was wearing a fake leather coat and jeans and asked her who was buying the system and she pointed out my father who was wearing a slightly paint ridden blue work shirt, slightly dirty slacks and a hat. She took another look at her and myself and asked again who was purchasing the system. At this point I got slightly annoyed and also pointed out the same guy waiting in line with a check book at hand and slightly dirty painting clothing so she went over and asked him and took him out of the line and asked him which system we were looking at so we pointed out the power Mac and 30" display. They radioed the back room and yeah they had it so she asked if we'd like them to bring it out (duh, we're buying the system) and they did. I stood around looking at the Mac software and decided to get iWorks and throw that in with it, the guy at the counter ringing it up seemed nice at first just scanning the boxes and totaling everything up but got rude and raised his voice getting frustrated as my dad was writing out the check (which messed him up slightly) and when he needed to see some ID with the $7k check. I don’t see the need to raise your voice and get all impatient with someone making such a large purchase. The guy asked me if I wanted to get Apple Care... ME... my dad's the one making the purchase not me so why ask me, that seems disrespectful to me and needless to say we BOTH (my dad and I) said no to the Apple Care which the guy seemed to raised his voice just a tad and gave us a snobby reaction. We brought up our Expedition to the front door after everything was said and done and the guy behind my dads back mentioned Apple Care to me again and we have like 2-3 days or so if we'd consider it and I told him I doubt it and just shut the back door and we left.

Looking back at it I should of said don’t judge a book by its cover.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    I have good experience of Apple, but they seem to be a company of extremes. You have the annoying, disrespectful people, and you have the guys who help you carry your stuff to your car, before asking whether you'd like to go to his house for supper
  12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just remember that the people on the other end of the phone deserve to be treated well too. Also, always yell UP the chain of command. Raising your voice to anyone that isn't management is pointless and arguing w/anyone that isn't upper management is a waste of time. Talk to people who have the power help you.

In my experience the faster you get up the food chain the better your "help" experience will be for two reasons. 1. Talking to people who can break/bend the rules is more productive than talking to people who can only enforce the rules. And 2. Talking to someone who doesn't get yelled at all day by largely ignorant and belligerent customers means they probably are less defensive and quicker to give you what you want.

Sorry 'bout the mini-rant, but after years of customer service work I just can't help myself.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
  14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    That got everyones attention ;) , like i said - way too complicated and nightmare trying to get to talk to someone.

The company Apple use to process them all flatly refused to send me my rebate as Apple never sent me a reciept for my sisters eMac + printer offer, all i had was i confirmation of delivery - in the end they sent the rebate back anyway.

And to top it all off i could have bought the damn printer cheaper elsewhere :mad:
  15. swy32x macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2005
    They do have their bad staff. They most likely outsource from other agency.

When I asked about the Altec Lansing fx6021's the employee looked at me with a puzzled face then asked if they were the iPod ones (referring to the inMotions). Erm, no. Then when I showed her the model on the iMac instore, the employee seemed amazed a Safari's History function and how it has the last 10 viewed pages ...

So, some are incompetent, but if you think about it, we are in a minority of the customers. They go in and ask what the difference is between the white small laptop and the silver small laptop. (iBook vs PowerBook) not what the speeds of HDD's are and if they can be replaced. Although, they should know.

Apple needs to hire more geeks :D
  16. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    Yeah they do!! Thats my next job.

Anyway on the subject. I have been treated well by apple service. When we were int he market for a new computer we went to an apple store and looked around. We were in there about 5-10 mins before an employ came up and asked us how we were doing and all that. I know what i wanted and so did my dad pretty much. BUt we kinda played dumb and the guy was extremely happy to show us all the computers. The first thing he asked was what we were using it for and then we went from there. He went through every mac and in the end tolf us that and eMac would probably be the best for us (which he was right), but my dad looked at it and said, `` i don`t much care for the look. I`ll take the more expensive one over there (iMac G5 17in.)`` The guys said OK and went to the back to get a computer. All told he probably spent about 20-25 mins talking to use about all the systems. That is great service in my opinion. But it sometimes depends on what store you go to and how busy it is.

Just my 2 cents
  17. narco macrumors 65816

Dec 9, 2003
    I've noticed a steady decline on how some Apple store employees treat the customers, even before the iPod became popular. Most females are pretty nice to me; they'll ask me if I need any help, etc. However, most of the guys are total pricks. Sometimes I'll get that one guy who has a ton of tattoos and dresses like he just got out of a rehearsal with his band-- that pretty much fits my description as well, but I am nice to people at least.

If I am treated poorly, I'll make it known. One time I asked about a DVI/Video adapter and the guy just gave me a blank stare and continued to talk to his other employees. I simply said "never mind" loud enough for the employees to stop their conversation and give me a scared look, and said "I'll just ask that chick over there." I don't normally complain about employee behavior (unless they do something really bad) because I figure they'll end up getting fired eventually.

18. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Phone Support Rocks

Well, I've only been to the Apple Store once, and then just to see the sights.

But, I have had *lots* of experience with phone support with a faulty iMac G5. They were great! Very kind. Took their time walking me through what they wanted me to try.

Eventually got to bring it in to CompUSA (an authorized fixer) for a new midplane. The service there was wonderful, as well. (Though they probably figured that with the 45 days it took to get a new midplane they owed me niceness if nothing else.)

All good people. I'm very happy with them.

I'm also of the frame of mind that you should be kind to the customer service people. They aren't paid well enough to get yelled at all day. You make some jokes and get them on your side - then they'll do all they can for you.

Usually. ;)
  19. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2004
    I went around and around with Apple at first:
    I bought my 12" pb online from the apple store.
    It turned out to have an odd power supply problem where it would not shut off when unplugged from a power source.
    After trying to trouble shoot with apple tech over the phone and with the tech guys at the store I sent the unit back.
    They promptly returned the unit. The problem was still occurring and in addition the cover sported a new rather large blemish incurred somewhere along the line while it was out of my hands.
    Many more phone calls followed and Apple wanted to continue to attempt repairs.
    I informed them that I had paid for a new computer. Not one that has a defect and had been repaired twice.

They balked at giving me a new computer.

I informed them they really had no choice as I was about to take action against them through the attorney general. I had a new computer inside of 10 days after that.
    The new unit works great. But god help you if you have to deal with "apple care". You need to be ready to muscle them if they try to cut you a bad deal with a clear and obvious fault.

BTW the ordeal lasted about 3 months. It really was a PITA at the time!
    Given that though I liked my PB so much I bought an Ibook when I needed a second laptop. The ibook has been problem free to just like the second PB I got.
    I think the problem like mine is fairly unusual.
  20. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    I had a guy who kept calling the iBook the "iPod" and seemed baffled at first when I corrected him. Not that bad, but funny.
  21. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    Apple has always been great to me! *knocks on wood*
  22. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i have been in two apple stores, valley fair and stanford, and the hq store in cupertino and for the most part, the staff were ok and not any worse than staff i have seen at office max, office depot, or staples...as far as the look of an apple store, it's certainly prettier on the inside...and yes, apple products work better than any pc products

because apple products work and look better, some mac users take that to mean that because they own the better and sexier computer, that now they have the license to be elitist jerks

nothing bugs me more than mac users who are stuck up...except for mac users who are stuck up and still think microsoft windows is still in its windows 3.1 days ;)
  23. sambo. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    outback, far from the surf

apple has treated me at least as badly as M$ has treated many of my friends.
    oh yeah, before the flaming starts, my first Apple was a Lisa. :eek: