Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Seeing as Google is not an ISP, can someone explain how they would have any part in implementing a tiered pricing structure for internet use? What roll does a company that provides a search engine and a few free web services play in this? :confused:

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Has Google turned evil?

What do you mean, "turned"? :confused:

They have made it no secret that they are in it for $$$$, just like any other commercial enterprise.

I guess they got tired of just mining people's search for profit?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Seeing as Google is not an ISP, can someone explain how they would have any part in implementing a tiered pricing structure for internet use? What roll does a company that provides a search engine and a few free web services play in this? :confused:

As it is Google and Verizon I would imagine some sort of modification to the Android OS to report to Verizon whether the site or service being connected to would be a Tier 1 or Tier 2. That or Android not allowing 3G connections to Tier 2 sites and services without the higher priced plan.

Didn't the FCC just recently rule against Comcast's throttling of P2P connections? Though they did allow throttling based on bandwidth. They just could not target specific types of connections (torrents). Though I do hope this is just rumor or if true that they will be shot down by the FCC or courts.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
As it is Google and Verizon I would imagine some sort of modification to the Android OS to report to Verizon whether the site or service being connected to would be a Tier 1 or Tier 2. That or Android not allowing 3G connections to Tier 2 sites and services without the higher priced plan.

Well that makes sense if it's tied to Android I guess. However it seems that the backlash from this could result in people that don't want Android devices, and will shun Verizon service. Seems a bit counterproductive for both companies.

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
Google is built on selling ads. Always has been, always will be. Is that evil? I dunno. It's not as noble as designing and selling products I guess.

kevoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
Google is built on selling ads. Always has been, always will be. Is that evil? I dunno. It's not as noble as designing and selling products I guess.

How is this related to them selling ads? this is clearly a move related to web access through android and possibly chrome further down the line :S

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
How is this related to them selling ads? this is clearly a move related to web access through android and possibly chrome further down the line :S

it's totally related to ads. with google trying web access to android and chrome they are forcing you to use their services which in turn forces you to see their adds. Android requires you to have a google account so anything that you do on your phone can be tied to you wherever you are so they can throw more ads at you that you are most likely to click. Android is not about "making phones better" as google keeps saying. its just a way for them to make more advertising revenues. and yes apple might have iAds but for different reasons. the thought behind iAds is the fact that Apple figures that devs might have to put ads in to make money for themselves and apple doesn't see why they should be ugly and annoying.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

TINSTAAFL

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Well that makes sense if it's tied to Android I guess. However it seems that the backlash from this could result in people that don't want Android devices, and will shun Verizon service. Seems a bit counterproductive for both companies.

I don't think that people (who I don't generally expect to have even heard of Net Neutrality, much less understand it) will suddenly boycott Google and Android because of this. Verizon doesn't have strong competitors in terms of its ability to provide multiple means of access (wireless + landlines), and AT&T isn't exactly a palatable alternative to most. Even if the two companies weren't already dominating their respective core industries, pursuing a monopolistic and avaricious endeavor such as this makes business sense, especially under the watch of an corrupt, impotent FCC.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Google has always been evil. Any company that has a motto like "Don't be evil" is trying to hide something. If a slimy car salesman was always saying "I'm honest! I'm honest! I'm honest!" how many people would believe him? Yet Big Search has this adorable image in the eye of the general public... :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's infering that they never were evil to begin with. I think google has a long history of doing what's right for google and then for the consumer. At times the need for google over lapped that of the consumer and other times it hasn't.

This latest move is is one that will benefit google and verizon at the expensive of the consumer.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Yes folks it will be getting more expensive to do anything, so be prepared to pay not only for access, but each service as it's own cost model.

We see it now with the Cable companies, you get Nickel and Dime'd to death for basic service, but then you want HBO, it will cost you, then you want another Premium channel it will cost you.

Why is everyone so surprised, also do not forget Verizon won that FCC auction a few years back for additional Satelite Space and Freq ranges.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
To me they always have been. Having said that. If I don't like something they have to offer I don't use it. If they have something to offer and I like it, I just make sure what I put into or use it for.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I always thought of Google as just another corporation, looking out for #1. I use some of their services (GMail, Google Calendar, occasionally Google Docs) because of their convenience, but I wouldn't call myself a Google fanboy or anything similar. I'm just unimpressed with the other search options and the interface of most other webmail sites. (Microsoft and Yahoo demand a ridiculous amount of personal information when signing up for an account with them, and Google doesn't.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.