Has Macrumors become too political?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Another informal poll. :rolleyes:

With the excess of posts on politics, how many people feel that the community forum has become too political for their tastes?

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    it always gets this way around here between product releases.

some sort of mac related sexual tension.;)

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I think it's also due to the current world events.

It's a very eventful time, no matter how you feel about things, and people feel strongly. That's OK.:)

4. spuncan macrumors 6502

hmm i dont remeber anything political cept 4 the monthly Left vs. Right thread. Before last Spring there wasnt't even a community forum. :eek: Back then all we had was a general forum, a Mac news forum, and a Mac Rumors forum. thats all.

Ahhhh I've become a grandpa
    -spuncan

5. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

:) OK, I just thought it was me. :) I wonder how Steve manages to bottle Mojo in these Macs. :D

6. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I think that as long as we keep it in the community section, its okay. All the politics is a reaction to the times. I thoughtabout asking people to discuss it over at my discussion boards where I have a whole political forum set up, but it sarted here, its with people I know from here, and I know how important hits are to a site, so I wouldn't want to take them from Arn.

We got the Cummunity Discussion boards so people could talk about whatever they wanted. I think anything goes and untill politcal threads start showing up in he main article space, we're cool.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

You said it before me.

There is a unusual political tension in the world, everything is going to end up in a war if politicians do not do their best, of course every body is with their eye with opend about it, trust me... not only in the US, it is happening every where. So, you can expenct some reflection of that even here.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Has Macrumors become too political?

even though poli-sci is my favorite topic, some days i steer clear of those threads and stick to lighter stuff

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

10. mkubal macrumors 6502a

LOL. Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a long while.

Matt

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I personally think that it shows the diversity of our users. It makes us stronger, and far more educated than we would ever be on our own.

12. iGav macrumors G3

I agree....

For the most part I don't really get involved with the political debate, it is very U.S. focused so i don't believe that I have the knowledge with regards to the U.S. political system to really overly express an opinion , but it's quite fascinating reading peoples differing of opinion on Bush etc etc.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just ignore the political threads and pretend they're not there. Occassionally politics invades and spills over to other threads, but its not really a problem.

Keeps things lively around here though.

D :D

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    on a serious note

i do believe the abundance of political threads reflect the immense dynamic social change and insecurity the us is now experiencing. for the first time since our founding, we have been attacked within our borders...granted there have been some small incidents but nothing with the lasting impact of 9/11.

our foreign and political policies are rightly being questioned. our responsibilities as the lone super-power( how i hate that term...) are as yet undecided...not to mention, the policies of our past administrations are haunting us.

i'm glad to see so much political discussion...i only wish our elections had as much participation.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the discussion of different political viewpoints is healthy, its the American way. Those that have no interest in politics might learn something. Free discussion of ideas can only be positive. From what I've seen forum members enjoy these discussions!

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The problem we're faced with today is not a simple one though, its not black and white, depending on who you talk to anyone could be the *enemy*.

As for learning something, since I'm one of the members who doesn't have an interest in politics, that's something for the poop thread I think. Many times it becomes a pissing match between sides on what needs to be done. What I would say instead is that the threads provide differing views that might allow someone who is very biased on a topic to possibly see a different side to the events, thereby opening their mind to other possibilities.

The biggest problems that cause the most heated discussions sometimes (not all, I understand this) is that some members tend to be a little closed or narrow minded about what they believe to be true.

D

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think MR has become too political, but then again, I think any
    politics at all is bad... I just don't like politics :eek: ;) :D .