has MSN just discovered the internet?

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, Apr 20, 2004.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I just saw an ad for the msn tv internet service...99.00 for the box, wireless kb and remote. But it seems like all it does is check your email and surf the web, without even a mouse. Really easy for the elderly, who are apparently the target.
    Seriously though, did msn just discover the internet or something? Dialup on your tv!!! WEBTV LIVES!
    I just think its headed for failure to sell people on lobotomized internet when they can get cheap dial-up and a real computer for a quarter of the annual cost.

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Lol. Thats a good one... I'll have to go tell my buddies about that one! ;)

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

whew, glad it sounded just as strange to you :p

seriously, dial up on your tv. no mouse either. look at pictures of your grandkids on the teevee! sign me up!

:)

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't have a problem with it. It's a simple way to get online without having to buy a computer or go to a library. If all you need is the internet, why buy a computer?

5. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

its less dial up on your tv and more the whole package.
    someone who does not want/need a whole computer and wants a simpler way to use the internet is not going to get it with msntv...theres no mouse, so they'd have to learn keyboard shortcuts for websites, and even from the commercial the gui looked more complex then necessary. it seemed that their target audience (the elderly and computer illiterate) would still have to face some tough challenges in actually "surfing the internet from your tv"...especially for 99.00 plus monthly fees.
    my grandmother has email and plays solitaire on her dell....it was significantly easier for me to set up aol and give her instructions on how to play games then set her up with something like this, because 1) when i need to show her something or troubleshoot from 4 states away i can do it over email or the phone, and 2) its a more universal standard so everyone else can help her make it a user-friendly and painless experience.
    with this system, it seems to revolve around a wireless keyboard as the navigation system for the GUI...does the user need to charge the keyboard? is it in the line of site of the receiver? Making it seem like the internet is frivolous and fun is nice, but if you are aiming for the computer illiterate making it so difficult is not the answer.
    That's why it bothers me.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My dad has been thinking about getting one because he cannot afford even a cheap computer. This would be perfect for him. He wants a way that we can talk without long distance charges, or postage stamps. This is that way. For 99 bucks this accomplishes all that he needs. He is not necessarily computer literate. It seems like this product would be easier to learn... then say... windows.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First of all, I'd like to inform everyone of two facts...

1) MSN TV service IS WebTV, M$ bought them in '98, and converted their systems a few years ago.

2) MSN TV does not require you to use MSN internet service. My Aunt and Uncle had WebTV and then MSN TV for several years, because, all they do is check their e-mail.

It is great for people who just need to send e-mails, and have little to no interest in the rest of the internet. That being said, there are several websites I've seen that have specially formatted pages for WebTV/MSN TV users.

It is a little better than them shelling out $800 for a low-end Dell just to use MSN explorer to check their Hotmail.

TEG