Has My Ipod Died?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by unknownfairy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. unknownfairy macrumors member

I went to plug in my (4gb mini) ipod in this morning and the charge icon briefly appeared on the screen, froze, and then disappeared completely. Now I can't get any reaction from the ipod at all, plugging it in does nothing and nothing appears on the screen. What has happened? Has my ipod died? It's 4 months out of warrenty, so I guess if it's dead then there's nothing I can do. Has this happened to anyone else?

With sorrow,
    Sam

2. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

the 5 R's

go to

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Try the 5 Rs - fixed my frequesntly freezing iPod

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

not necessarily. i took my out-of-warranty iPod mini to the Apple Store and they replaced it for about $30. i don't know why but i made a big enough stink about it being an apple product and them backing their products even if there is no warranty that i guess the guy figured it was easier to give it to me than argue with me.

that said, this was before i realized how important a warranty is for the more expensive Apple products. i'm still debating whether or not to get AppleCare for my iPod nano which will be 1 year old this November. i will definitely get it for my brand new MBP in a year. i'll have to search the forums to see what people think about AC for the iPod nano.

good luck, and remember, if you can make a big enough scene, people will generally do what you want them to. (at least in my case, this held true.)

4. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Sounds like a power surge to me...do you have another ipod you could test to see if the charger is now fried as well? If it was a power surge your iPod is literally fried. Hopefully, though, I am wrong.

5. unknownfairy thread starter macrumors member

It can't have been a power surge, because it wasn't plugged into the powerpoint! Only my laptop! So at least that's not it. Im hoping when I get home this avo it will have magically fixed itself... Cross your fingers!