Has my memory stick bitten the dust?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimbobyorks, Jan 17, 2007.

1. jimbobyorks macrumors newbie

Plugged it into my new iMac (its a kingston tachnology data traveller stick) and the blue light just flashes repeatedly and does not lad onto the desktop as usual, is it time t buy another one or can the data be saved. I did plus it into the keyboard first but it did not drop onto the desktop as there was not enough power.

I know they are not expensive to but, its the data I need from it.

Thanks in advance people.

jimbobyorks

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, if it comes up in Disk Utility I would try to repair it, to see if any data was recoverable, before erasing it... ;)

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Oh yeah...sorry 'bout that...

6. jimbobyorks thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you do this thing with disk utility

even if it not visible on the desktop. Have tried it in five other macs of vaious specs and still the flashing blue light.

Cheers

jimbobyorks

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried Kingston site and try to find any answers there? I believe they carry a warrantee on it

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Disk Utility will sometimes recognise that something is attached, even if it's not able to be mounted... if Disk Utility does see it, try a disk repair, and if you're very, very lucky the drive should be back to its old self in no time...

Sometimes if you disconnect the drive without ejecting/unmounting it first, the disk might start to misbehave, and a repair may fix those things.

On the other hand, if Disk Utility (on a couple of different Macs and similar tools on a PC) cannot see it, the disk is probably gone for good.

9. MartyMoe macrumors regular

What format was the original stick? If it is a new iMac, then what kind of computer were you using before? I am usually able to pick up PC-formatted memory sticks, but you never know. If it was PC, do you have access to one still, just to double-check?

If you last used it before on a previous Mac, and it is definitely Mac-formatted and you still cannot see it, you might try DiskWarrior- just a thought. I hope it works out.

I know my memory sticks eventually fail, but partially because I sent them through the wash once or twice.....

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My 128 MB TwinMOS went one round on a standard 40°C coloured wash in a jeans pocket... didn't seem to bother it, at all... :D