Has my oleophobic coating gone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Jul 8, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Jul 3, 2010
    Ive had my iPhone 4 since launch and its naked (but I keep it in a soft slip case), I have kept it in perfect condition, it still looks as new out of the box, there is not a single mark or scratch on it.

Anyway Ive noticed lately that the screen is getting smudged very quickly and the screens surface doesnt feel as smooth as it used too, now my fingers stick on the glass more when moving.

It really stood out to me when I got my new SGS2 and noticed that the screen on that wasnt getting nearly half as smudged even when I was using them at the same time (to compare them for a write up I'll be posting shortly).

Has my iPhone 4's oleophobic coating worn away? :eek:
  2. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    The coating only lasts about 2-3 months, so yes it more likely has worn off by now.
  3. macrumors demi-god

Jul 24, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Based on what??
  4. macrumors P6

Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    Definitely. I've never heard 2-3 months either. Maybe after a year of hard use. Some of mine is gone after a year, which I think is due to playing games where the screen was running hotter than normal.
  5. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2009
    this is truth where? what source?
  6. macrumors member

Jan 7, 2007
    I think the soft slip case has a lot to do with speeding up the process. I keep mine in a soft slip case as well (the simple Sena leather one) and noticed after a few months that the coating seems to be completely gone. I think it also has the added issue of collecting all the grime from your screen when you slide it in or out, and the fibers just get saturated and start to actually deposit oil/gunk on your screen.
  7. macrumors member

Jul 21, 2010
    On my iPhone 4 it only lasted about 2-3 months for me and on my iPad 2 it seems like its already gone. I don't even think it lasted as long as the iPhone 4's coating. Now I am in Florida and we're already hitting 100 degree heat for most of the day, so temperature could also be a factor in this.
  8. macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    ive notice mine has worn off, i had the phone since September
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 20, 2010
    collingswood. nj
    How are you guys noticing it "wearing off"?

I don't buy that... It wouldnt wear even, either... theoretically, it would be different in different areas.
  10. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    2-3 months was mainly a guesstimate, when I've read about people complaining that the coating has worn off, its generally been at around 2-4 months after purchase.

Though Apple does claim in the User Guide that it will wear off eventually under normal use, quicker if not cleaned properly (like using a cleaner with Alcohol or Ammonia).

11. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2008
    you guys are nuts. there is no way your coating has "worn off" if it did, it would not come off evenly and you would notice an certain areas worse than others.

If you dont believe me buy an iphone 4 front replacement LCD assembly from one of the online parts stores. no matter how much they say they are "exactly the same" the area that they fail to be exactly alike is in the oleophobic coating. the aftermarket parts do not have it. it is immediatley obvious and holding my launch day iphone 4 side by side this replacement part you can tell a huge difference not only in smudge/fingerprint resistance but also in the smooth surface. your finger glides along the real part and feels drag on the aftermarket.
  12. macrumors 601

Jul 24, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, US
    Do not clean your screen with Alcohol or Ammonia: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3226

Edit: Reading a third time I think this is what saving107 meant but worth repeating.
  13. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Sorry, I just re-read my own post as well and yes I meant Do Not Use.
  14. macrumors 68000

Jul 22, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI
    IMO, the whole oleophobic coating is a giant crock of schit. Doesn't do a thing to prevent smudges.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2008
    an oleophobic coating is to make it easier to wipe oil away. you don't say rain-x doesn't work because it still rains.
  16. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Jul 3, 2010
    Well I get the feeling that my coating has worn away evenly across the whole screen. I put this down to using a microfiber cloth to clean the whole of the screen rather than it be worn away in certain area's from my fingers.

Its only having a second smartphone that really made it noticeable. On the new SGS2 I could literally feel the glide of the screen with its new untouched coating.
  17. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2009
    116th & Broadway
    I can tell because when my iPhone 4 was new, fingerprints never showed on the screen. Now fingerprints are attracted to my display like Tony Montana is to cocaine.
  18. macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm thankful I've always used a screen protector after reading this thread.

Thanks for the very informative posts folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2008
    Read the statement from apple carefully. It says that the ability to repel fingerprints will "diminish over time" not that it will wear away completely.

and if you notice that all the other devices on that page also says do not use alcohol, ammonia, household cleaners. regardless if they have an oleophobic coating or not. I dont buy it. I will say that maybe my iphone doesn't repel as good as day one, but I do know the coating is still there and works to some degree based on the experience I stated in my first post.
  20. macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2006
    I have the same problem with my iphone 4. The oleophobic coating did wear off a bit and is now completely gone because some time ago i used a cleaning product that i guess removed it completely and i know, i shouldn't have done that but i didn't know at the time.
    So, since the damage is done and it annoys me so much to see the phone with smudges/fingerprints and have to be constantly cleaning it to look half as cleaned, what can i do now? Is there any product to replace the coating? What do you recommend?
    I read about some products to get the oleophobic coating back but i don't know if they are any good or if they actually work.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jul 13, 2008
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    If you compare the normal screen of an iPhone to one with a crappy plastic screen protector, you'll definitely see the benefit of the coating. It's one of the reasons I stopped using screen protectors a long time ago.
  22. macrumors 68000

Mar 22, 2011
    Using chemical cleaners will erode the oleophobic coating on your screen.