Has reality TV gone to far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Feb 17, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ive been watching TV lately and its nothing but bad reality shows. It was fine when it started as a sweeps stunt but its gone a little far now. Anybody agree.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You could have asked me this a year ago, and I would have agreed. Does anyone even watch that stuff anymore?

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its boring. when survivor first came out it was interesting till the africa one. then its like stop already.

but i guess more people like it than not cuz its still playing

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

If the History Channel and Fox News qualify as reality tv, then yes, I watch it 24/7.

I am getting tired of all the "Trading Spaces" type shows that are popping up on the TLC/Discovery/etc...what ever happened to good show like Junkyard Wars?

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont think tlc and discov are under the heading of reality tv, i mean they do deal with non-fiction, but its more educational style tv which rocks

6. ollywilson2003 macrumors member

I agree, I mean how many freaking Survivor series have there been? Like 20 or something isnt it?

7. Opteron macrumors 6502

I don't know how many "Big Brother" season's have been in the US, but in AUS this next season will be the Fifth. ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Australia has 3 "Free to Air" channels (7, 9, and 10. The ABC & SBS don't count) and there are about 9 or 10 "relaity TV" shows currently on air.

Pay TV, isn't bing in AUS. and rather expencive

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think there's a mix of quality.

Survivor and Big Brother bore me...

but The Apprentice, the first Average Joe, and Last Comic Standing were all very entertaining (imo).

It all comes down to the basics... if you have an interest in the characters.... people you dislike and people you like... people you pull for.

I think the Apprentice and Last Comic Standing were great because these are people with actual skills.... not just random "I want to be famous" contestants.

arn

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Interestingly, in the UK, Survivor has only had 2 series. Series 2 finished about 2 years ago and there has been nothing since. Series one was really good, but then they made the second one smaller and more "after watershed".

Big Brother 5 will no doubt come out soon but last year's lot were really boring according to the media (but still record numbers of viewers :rolleyes: ) and there are so many other similiarly themed shows, not to mention annual Popstars and Pop Idol shows (including the bloody American versions as well!).

Someday, prefereably sooner rather than later, someone will realise that good old-fashioned 'proper' TV programmes are what people really want to watch.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Amazing Race was good, and so was Last Comic Standing. Other than that, any show not on TLC or The Discovery Channel just sucks. Especially Fox

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You could as far to say that just about every digital channel is rubbish. Many people in the UK have Sky Digital but, even with 200+ channels, we still all end up watching BBC, ITV and Channel 4 (the less said about Channel 5 the better).

Unfortunately, the BBC is trying to ratings compete with ITV so we have plenty of crap on these channels too.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

based on the ratings, this simply isn't true.

arn

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Ok, what me and everyone I know wants to watch ;)

I agree that some reality TV shows are good. Others were good once (e.g. Big Brother) but have become a yearly tedium. People tend to get drawn into them and can't stop watching them, even though I bet if you asked a lot of people if they really enjoyed watching half these programmes, they probably wouldn't say it was their favourite programme. I reckon the ratings are skewed on this one.

It's quite sad though that, in this country at least, a bigger percentage of people can recognise the winner of the last Big Brother than Tony Blair or President Bush. As regards other important politions, most people haven't got a clue.

14. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Have you had the top 10 reality TV moments yet? Or the 20 winning contestants from other reality shows put into one whole new show. We seem to be suffering from that now, although I don't watch it.

If people are prepared to put up with microsoft then you can understand why reality TV is so popular.

15. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

As Arn said, reality TV is what sells right now. I believe it's just a fad, much like game shows became a fad when Who Wants To Be A Millionaire arrived. Remmember The Weakest Link? The Chair? The Chamber? Countless other bad gameshows popped up right after Millionaire.

There will always be Reality TV, but I think the ammount of programs based on this model will soon drop off, much like the gameshows did recently.

16. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I don't know if I'd say that or not... Some of them are popular, sure, but every night the viewers of regular programming far outweigh those of reality shows.

Take last night, for instance:
    CSI: Miami was in the number one slot, followed by Everybody Loves Raymond, an episode of Primetime with Mel Gibson, Two and a Half Men, Fear Factor, and Average Joe... My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance was further down the list somewhere.

This trend repeats on any given day, you can watch yourself:
    http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/columns/prog_insider.jsp

The reason they're still on the air is because they're popular among the younger viewers, not because they have the highest ratings. Young audiences bring in high advertising dollars.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Reality shows can be interesting but they are usually just stupid.

It is when the people connect with the reality show 'star' that that reality show starts taking off. Many people were rooting for different women in Joe Millionare, Many people root for someone to win survivor, etc. They actually get an emotional attachment to a character and they are hooked into the show.

Personally, I've never gotten hooked.

scem0

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well, it's almost the same thing. Highest ratings amongst desirable audience. I don't know how to get numbers from other nights... but I'd guess that other reality shows do take the #1 spot... such as American Idol and The Apprentice. (for their respective nights)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2004-02-17-reality-main_x.htm

19. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I actually like sutvivor but I agree, it is getting a little old. Hopefully, this will be its last season.

Big brother was just a horrible show... people sitting around a house all say - Boring!

Last Comic Standing was great but it still boggles my mind how Dat Phan won.:confused:

Has anyone ever seen the Amazing Race? Thats is by far my favorite reality show..

20. Achtung_U2 macrumors member

i agree with what most of you have to say regarding reality shows....but, no doubt there is a new show (slightly off-key from say, Survivor, but still REAL) on the horizon that Im looking forward to (even if just for the sake of mindless laughter):

As far as Im concerned... COMEDY CENTRAL RULES!!!! What with, SOUTH PARK, TV FUNHOUSE, MAD TV, CHAPPELLES SHOW, STRANGERS WITH CANDY.... Thier newest creation ougtta be prety twisted...

Im sure you're familiar with BRAVO's Queer Eye For The Straight Guy... well, heres Comedy Central's take on that idea:

STRAIGHT PLAN FOR THE GAY MAN
    Each week, our "Flab Four" comics makeover a new gay friend and give him a crash course on the secrets of straight male life -- like hitting on chicks, playing basketball or working a blue-collar job. Can they do it?

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/straightplan/

Thank god for these absurd & mindless diversions in life :) they can really help 'break' a stressed day.

To quote an old TV icon (Johnny Carson) "Wierd, wild stuff"

21. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I already voiced my opinion in today's "Daily Poll," so I won't repeat it here, other than to say that Reality TV (or at least NBC/FOX's idea of Reality TV) is dumb. Especially the stuff that's been put out lately, where people's feelings get hurt for no good reason--"Average Joe" for example. Horrible. People that watch shows like that and enjoy them should seek psychiatric help.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

reality tv was one of the reasons i decided not to get cable when i got my new townhouse, tv is a waste of my time, especially since im in college right now and have a lot of reading, stupid english major, but i think i would consider watching tv if sitcoms and the like finally came back, but as it is right now im happy with my DVD collection...

23. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The thing that gets to me is the double standard of tv viewers. Its an outrage and people are disgusted to see Janet Jackson's breast on half-time, but its ok to watch Fear Factor and see some guy eating some Bull Testicles. Why is there no outrage in little kids seeing that in prime-time.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Has reality TV gone to far?

what is bothersome is that people think that it is reality

much of the stuff is scripted...and survivor??, and the secret...huh, right ;)

abc, a well known network, i think some may have heard of it, revealed richard hatch, the first season's winner, several times over the show's run

the end result is to have high ratings, not be "real" life

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Duh...

Reality TV gone to far...

Um again 'duh'.

Since "Reality TV" is never about real living people but just people who look good... or who are handpicked... how much of a Reality is that?

They are all so fake...

How about this...

We put 5 people on a remote island...

And then... we have NO Contests.

Whoever survives wins.

:eek:

arg the real survivor... :mad: