Has Spymac sold out?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

it seems to me that whenever i go to the spymac site i cant help but be harrassed with ads for their features, its dificult to navagate and annoying to be bombarded with offers to buy buy buy. i feel they have sold out, anyone elses oppinions?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Look's like they've passed from being a fan site to a cash-flow business.

But it's also a learning curve most businesses have...

Mass advertising helps get the word out in the beginning, but keep it up too long and people will get as sick of it as those darn AOL trial offer advertisements.
  3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Spymac has gotten very strange this year, and they've really shifted away from anything that has to do with rumors.

The latest thing on their homepage is something called "The Wheel." I don't know what that is, but I'm not interested in buying it. :p
  4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    I saw a cnet (i think) article a few weeks ago that compared the gmail service to services like hotmail/msn and it even mentioned spymac.com as a competitor. Now, I don't like spymac but seriously... that's great company to be in context with.
  5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Some people are predicting that Google & Gmail will go in the same direction .. ....... ..... south?
  6. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I doubt that, they have too much mindshare and too many smart people working for them.
  7. goodwill macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2004
    i could only think its because they have to have it to pay for expenses of offering the size of email they do to keep it going.
  8. iDo macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2004
    way to many ads not enough of what makes a site good!
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I will get a chance to learn more about "The Wheel" first hand at MacWorld Boston. It just happens that MacRumors is the premier site for rumors and it has no equal IMHO.
  10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    While I prefer MR, as of late ThinkSecret seems to be quite the accurate source. I guess we'll see tomorrow. :)

Spymac is more for the teenage mac crowd, I think.
  11. goodwill macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2004
    Perfect place to find really cook desktop backgrounds! Theyre bandwith has got to be nuts with all the photos they host at one time and with the mass email accounts
  12. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2003
    NC, USA
    Yeah, the whole place just looks too busy, and now they are making all these new things, wheels, etc. It's confusing and they have like 3 different homepages, way too many of their own advertisements, it's not even funny.
  13. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    Spymac a misnomer

Back when Spymac di rumors, having a name liek spymac was kinda cool.

But nwo they want to be a .Mac service, a Gmail service, and who knows what else. But why keep the name Spymac?

Gmail has gotten a ton of buzz and its a cool domain to have. But SpyMac? That is childish sounding.

If they want to be taken seriously by professionals, then they should get a domain name and service name that is at least more neutral or techie sounding.

In my opinion, I rank the PSymac name along with AOL email addresses. I hold Yahoo, and Google, and such a bit higher.

Also, how many of these services can a markey sustain? I thin with the dot com bubble we witnessed that few is closer to the truth than Many. I have no concept of how large spymac is, but I am sure it pales when compared to Google, Yahoo, and many of the other portals that offer free email. Free will draw some users, but reliabloty, features, sped, protability and overall integration is key. I myself use Yahoo with 2 gigs, because I am an SBC subscriber. Unless someone can offer me access for less with the same features, I have no reason to switch. I can make 10 accounts, and easily get more.

I do not want to get all down on Spymac, but I am unsure, even after visiting the site what they are all about.