Has the cooling been improved on Rev C iMacs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gohan, Nov 11, 2005.

1. macrumors member

I have just ordered a 20” iMac and was wondering if the new layout has improved HDD & CPU temps?

Also has the fan issue been fixed?

Lastly, are there any pictures that you have come across with the new Rev C striped down?

Cheers, Ryan

2. macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I believe the fan issue has been fixed shortly after the Rev A models were shipped.

I had the Rev A model, and it had an ongoing issue, so Apple just replaced it with the new Rev C model. It was a sweet deal.

To answer your question, this one does seem to run more quietly. I haven't noticed the fans roar as much as they did on my other iMac.

I have the CPU in constant use, as I run Folding@Home, so it should be working pretty hard, but the fans don't kick up as much.

Hope that helps!

3. thread starter macrumors member

Good to know, I'm a bit of a silence freak so I'm glad it's been fixed :)

4. macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes - http://www.barefeats.com/im21b.html

5. macrumors 604

zap2

my iMac G5 has not fan problem:p

when i installed something, its said my iMac's fan were about to run on Max. I have never heard my iMac's fan that fast guess im just lucky!

6. macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I don't want to create the illusion that the iMac is silent, because it is not. You can hear the fans running, but it is faint. One thing about the hard drive though, I have never heard it at all.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know what HDD's they use off hand?

The Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C or Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 would be nice.

I would have thought the Samsung would have been a good idea as it very cool running, near silent & very fast.

8. macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I just looked up in my system profiler, and for my iMac G5 Rev. C it says the model of the HDD is Maxtor 6L250M0