has the iran war already started?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 17, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

CNN transcript

CNN's jim clancy talks w/ former USAF colonel sam gardiner. this bit about gardiner is from digby:
    the CNN piece can also be seen from this direct .mov link.

excerpts:
    could it be true? could bush and rumsfeld already be running a secret war w/o congress knowing and giving consent?

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Of course. Anyone who thinks ISA and SF aren't there already is off their rocker. Whether it's offensive, or just reconnaissance, is a matter of conjecture.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

assuming this is true (and that's an if), what the hell is going on?

Why would you have (I assume a small number of) troops in Iran? Who are they? The quote seems to imply they aren't US troops, just proxy troops - but from where?

More importantly, what is the purpose? Recon? Wouldn't spy drones and SF units and/or spies accomplish that more effectively?

It couldn't be a traditional military offensive, as that would draw attention and require significant resources to fight a military such as Iran's.

I am so confused.

Meanwhile, Iran has pledged 50+ million dollars to Hamas in Palestine, which has effectively substituted Iranian influence for any US influence we hoped to have over the Palestinians - and put Israel in quite a position.

I'm no geopolitical expert, but all this seems to imply that the US is making dangerously stupid decisions on almost every front over there.

I know it's easy to say "well this administration always does stupid things", but this seems exceptionally mind-boggling.

I am genuinely uneasy.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

what's ISA?

5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Intelligence Support Activity, or whatever they're called these days.
    Mark Bowden talks about them in Killing Pablo, and they were active in Iraq before the war started.
    Link from The Times with a bit more info.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're not alone.

Yesterday I read an article (and I can't find it now, dammit!) that said that Iran is probably greatly exaggerating the amount of uranium that it can refine, and that intelligence sources say the country may be as much as 10 years away from actually being able to create nuclear warheads.

It's entirely possible. The Iranian president, Azgfhscrzhsksxb (whatever), is full of bluster about blowing Israel off the map. It's possible all this missile/nuke talk is just so much macho bull____.

And if that's true, it's may also be that he's counting on provoking a battle with the United States in order to drum up support in the Arab world and/or to create more terrorists/unify the radical Arab world. If that is so, Bush attacking Iran would be playing right into his hands. In fact, Bush would, I'm sure, even assist Iran in this ploy by making up/exaggerating stuff himself.

As we said elsewhere, the maddening thing is that there's so damned little factual information available. All I know is that I can't count on either side for the truth, and the CIA isn't talking. I've no idea who's capable of what, or who's telling the truth -- if anyone is. That's what's so confusing.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or, of course, they could have enough already for a small device. How big a device would it take to render Tel Aviv uninhabitable?

9. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

If the reports are true, and there are incursions through the border with Iran and Afghanistan, then that would indicate Afghans, probably ex Northern Alliance men, under heavy US bribery.
    More likely, and my money is on them, are the Kurds.
    Note that from this map that Iran's nuclear sites are in the West. Makes more sense logistically, and tactically to go from bases inside Iraq.
    Don't forget the Kurds have experience of running guerilla campaigns inside all 3 countries across the junction of Kurdistan.
    They're a more likely ally for the US than the Afghans or Turkmenistan. especially if the US are dangling some juicy bait in front of them....
    Join the club.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It just keeps getting better doesn't it.

And the response is always that we have to do something, even if it's the wrong thing.