Has the Spell Checker Improved Your Spelling?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have found that using the built in Spellchecker in 10.2 has improved my spelling. On Safari I catch my mistakes much more often and I see fewer and fewer red lines, Has spell checking improved your spelling?
    At least I don't misspell trouble anymore;)

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Same here, plus it forces me to relook at what i wrote. So grammar is better too.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the spell checker has helped me quite a bit, its useful and helps for sure

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Certainly, i hear a lot of people complain that computers reduce people's attention to spelling, but it's now so instant, that instead of even popping open a browser window to dictionary.com, i can just find the right spelling by trying a couple of vowel replacements, etc... and that makes me less likely to accept spelling mistakes when i'm in a hurry. eventually, it's made me remember the correct spellings of words that i normally have problems with...

paul

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Shure aint dun me no guud

[Old jokes revisited no.257: apologies]

I actually spend more of my time checking the checker. Being from the UK I find that I try doubley hard to ensure that the spell checker hasn't used the US version of words, eg those ending with 'ize' (such as motorize or emphasize) rather than the 'ise' which I prefer.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm surprised that the UK dictionary includes americanized words? The US English dictionary doesn't include variations like "behaviour" which i use too much (used to correspond with brits a lot)...

paul

8. macka macrumors regular

No, it hasn't helped me at all.

In my opinion, the spellchecker's just really annoying. The only way you can improve your spellling is by reading heaps and when you read heaps you take note of the spelling of words.

I only use the spellchecker to proofread and correct anything I've missed on the way.

My spelling was perfect to start off with anyway. ;) :D

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.

In all fairness the US and UK versions are pretty true to their linguistic rules. But having grown up with numerous dreadfully unsophisticated spell checkers on a wide variety of systems, I have decided not to trust them and it will take me a while before I do.

10. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Yes it has, on another forum I visit you can see a BIG improvement from post 1 to post 800!

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Actually, it has...