Has this ever happened to somebody??

Discussion in 'Community' started by dynamicd, Mar 19, 2003.

1. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    Ok, so I go to the dentist today for my 6 month check-up and I've never had any cavities before. I should also say that I'm going to be 19 next month. So anyways, I stopped drink pop last august, thinking that since I was going into college and should try and eat a little healthier since I'll have more stress. Then, when I go to the dentist today, I find out that I have 3 cavities!!!!! Maybe I should start drinking pop/soda again and injection sugar into my teeth. Just a thought though.
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Did you have flouride treatments when you were young?
  3. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I brush/wash my "teeth" (I haven't write that work in 15 years at list) every time, 3 or 4 times a day and I have cavities almost in my thoungh.

Looks like cavities show up when ever they want.
  4. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    kinda strange how when i brushed my teeth more i got a cavity, yet when i didnt brush my teeth a whole lot i was fine. i guess life is full of surprises...
  5. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    I have this debate constantly with people. I am also 19, drink at least 24oz of Soda/Pop daily, 96+oz of Water, a small amount of candy 2-3 times a week, eat healthy the rest (chicken instead of beef, low processed carbs, lots of veggies and fruit, and milk and juice), I brush maybe twice a day, and floss only 2-3 times a week. I also used to eat flouride like candy when I was between 3 and 6. I have never had a cavity, I've only had one scare, and it turned out to be a chip. But I know those who brush 3-5 times a day, floss after every meal, eat very healthy, and some are even vegetarians, and they all have cavities, the vegan friend of mine, who is only 17 has had 12 cavities, a root canal, and has had a tooth crack. So I don't think Dentists know anything about anything.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    What kind of stuff do you drink since you don't drink soda/pop? If it's water, drink tap and not bottled. Tap water in the US contains flouride, while bottled water does not.

I'm 19, turning 20 this summer, and I have never had a cavity or anything else wrong with my teeth. I drink soda/pop like crazy, eat tons of candy, I chewed gum when I had braces, I don't floss as often as I should, I do brush my teeth, but I usually never do what my dentist/orthodontist has said to do.

I asked my Dentist about this and he said I have genes which gave me very strong teeth. He said strong teeth is an extremly very recessive trait, and nearly 95% of people have weak teeth which are easily effected by disease. I guess I'm just lucky.
  7. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Flouridation is the most insidious plot ever hatched against this country. I for one will not stand by and allow the contamination of our precious bodily fluids!

(Some of you are now laughing your arses of, while the rest of you think I am nuts.)

I bruch twice a day (when I get up and when I go to bed). Until last fall, I drank carbonated beverages (diet and regualr) like a fish. I never floss, becasue the threads get stuck in my teeth. don't eat candy, but lots of breads (which dentists say are bad). I rarely have cavities. I think it all depends on the person and how thick your enamle (sp?) is.
  8. ezri macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2003
    I think some people are going to have bad teeth no matter how well they take care of them. For example, I'm 22 years old and only had one cavity when I was in third grade. I never floss and only brush once a day. My parents have awful teeth and my sister always has new cavities after seeing the dentist, yet they all brush twice a day with that sonicare toothbrush, floss daily and use mouthwash. My best explanation is that when I was a teenager I drank about two glasses of milk a day and so I got tons of calcium, while my sister never liked milk. I have since given up all dairy because I can't digest it anymore and now have tons of soy products (yes they taste good). So, all I can suggest to you is get more calcium cause teeth are bones too :D
  9. dynamicd thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    I drink a combination of tap and purified water. Other than that I drink a lot of milk and orange juice. It's rare that I eat candy and I brush my teeth twice a day. And I've been getting fluoride treatments since i started to go to the dentist back in the day.
  10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    ha. what does eating or not eating meat have to do with much??? i have seen no change in my teeth (nor has the dentist) since i've stopped eating meat (about 4 years)... i think it's more sugar based really.

i have never really been in the steady habit of 2 times a day brushing. nor flossing (maybe once every 2 weeks when i eat popcorn). speaking of which, i eat popcorn maybe 4 times a week. and that hasn't done much. i've even heard it's good for your teeth... got me though

i think there's something more to it. probably a lot of it is luck. my mom has terrible teeth. my dad has some bad stuff, but not terrible.....
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Not lucky, just inherited a good set of genes. You will still need to increase the brushing and flossing as you get older. Age is a big factor in gum & teeth health, such as Peridontal disease.
  12. iMook macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2003
    I'm 17 right now, and i've only had two fillings total in my life. I think it's mainly because I drink milk at every meal. Brushing really doesn't do all that much I think, unless you go to sleep with a food-filled mouth :D. I brush twice daily (wake up, go to bed), drink bottled water, drink milk, drink orange juice, eat LOTS of meats, and basically drink oil and grease with every meal (good homestyle Chinese food is VERY greasy). Also, I very rarely eat any sweets, since I don't really like 'em all that much (though sugarcane is my ambrosia). Granted, my teeth aren't Rembrandt-commercial white, but they're pretty darn close. my 8-year-old sister, on the other hand, has had countless fillings and a root canal, and the only difference between our eating habits is that she inhales sweets and likes sodas more. So, I think it depends on three main things: genes, calcium, and sweets.
  13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    personally i think that fruit can have a lot to do with it, all the acid in things like orange, apples etc. myself, i've been pretty lucky, very few cavities but then my teeth were capped when i was little or something, as the enamel never formed properly.

oh, and the fact that there's flouride in the tap water...i think it's disgusting, what else are they doing to our food/water etc??? don't mess with mother nature, i think that's why amercians have so many intolerences to foods etc. i remember when i was in school (in england) one girl had a nut allergy, and ~that~ was extremely weird, but here, kinda common. all this lactose stuff, never heard of that stuff 'til i moved to nyc. stop messing with our water and milk (added vitamin d etc) and educate people on eating better....sorry, i digress...
  14. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I drink cow-loads of skimmed milk everyday.... (4 pints+) have been for years and years.... and I don't think my teeth are particulary strong at all..... :(

Speaking of milk, when I was in the U.S. I went into a petrol station to get some milk, and there is like 10 gazillion different variations in the U.S. ..... could I find a skimmed version..... could I buggery!! god knows what I ended up with, but it was as thick as the stuff your local Ice-Cream man puts in a cornet!

15. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    I believe it's a question of fluoridated water when you are young and your teeth are developing. My brothers who grew up with fluoride in their water have almost no cavities, while I grew up in a different state without and have many. A part of my also thinks that there must be chemicals in our saliva that protect our teeth, and excessive brushing minimizes their effectiveness.

16. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    My GF brushes her teeth religiously and has a ton of cavities, yet I brush mine once a day, and sometimes pass it up. But I only have a couple of cavities. Odd..
  17. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    i think it might be a genetics thing...my teeth are horrible. Of course i haven't had any cavities for a long time...none actually since i lost all my baby teeth :D
    i only brush my teeth two times a day, floss once and use crest whitestrips.
    oh and i did traditional braces for like 2 years as well...
    i drink a bottle of sprite or coke every week (not much of a soda person anymore).
  18. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    If you brush too much you rub the enamel off of your teeth.
  19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I avoided the dentist for a decade, then I broke one of the old fillings, then another and another over 18 months.

Only had two cavities though (due to old dental work finally breaking down).

Made for a fun time as I had three partial crowns and a two inlays done, and an expensive dental bill.

Turns out the last tooth done (one that broke due to a hidden cavity) was the tooth causing all the problems in my mouth in the first place.
  20. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    same with whitening systems like crest white strips. They can
    remove the enamel and lots of bad **** can happen to your
  21. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    healthy teeth can be genetic and something you are born with too. the dentist said i could eat pure sugar and i probably wouldn't get a cavity. i havn't yet but i brush regularly
  22. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I almost never drink water--i drink apple juice in place of it, and have a few cokes a week. I brush my teeth maybe 1-2 times a day, leaning towards the one. never had a cavity!

on the other hand, my sister follows similar habits, except for the apple juice thing, and she got like 2 on her check-up before last. she was 16 at the time.