Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smokedoutstaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Im at work a lot and use my phone and never had an issue with pocket dialing or butt dialing but ever since i upgraded to ios7, whenever i get a text or email, my pocket decides to literally press all over the screen causing my phone to text people, call numbers, facetime, take photos, and email (all the things thats happened to me so far) without my knowledge. Ive recently added a lock screen but now it just locks my phone from too many attempts almost always. This is annoying as hell, what can i do to mend this?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Don't wear tight pants and keep things that conduct out of your pocket.

The only way the screen can be active if is something conductive is on it. The OS can't change that behavior.

Smokedoutstaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
My pants arent tight, and i never EVER had this issue until i updated.my phone stays in my left pocket with nothing else in it

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Im at work a lot and use my phone and never had an issue with pocket dialing or butt dialing but ever since i upgraded to ios7, whenever i get a text or email, my pocket decides to literally press all over the screen causing my phone to text people, call numbers, facetime, take photos, and email (all the things thats happened to me so far) without my knowledge. Ive recently added a lock screen but now it just locks my phone from too many attempts almost always. This is annoying as hell, what can i do to mend this?

Try disabling Notification Center (and/or control center) from appearing on your lock screen. I bet that's what's happening. You get a message, somehow the notification center gets dragged down from the top, then stuff starts getting pressed, and boom... you've now just text "butt" to Jennifer, then called her and let her listen to your conversation about her with a co-worker ;)

Anyway, I don't know why people like having access to so much stuff from the lock screen. It completely defeats the purpose of a lock screen.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Keep your phone somewhere else :roll eyes:

I've yet to see this and this is the first I've heard about it. I'm not sure what you can do other than keep the phone stored in another location.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
My pants arent tight, and i never EVER had this issue until i updated.my phone stays in my left pocket with nothing else in it

I'm going to have to call BS here, because the way the screen is designed, only things that can conduct, such as your flesh, can activate the screen, and unless you have your phone pressed up against your skin or you're carrying materials that can conduct on the screen, that can't happen.

Smokedoutstaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Try disabling Notification Center (and/or control center) from appearing on your lock screen. I bet that's what's happening. You get a message, somehow the notification center gets dragged down from the top, then stuff starts getting pressed, and boom... you've now just text "butt" to Jennifer, then called her and let her listen to your conversation about her with a co-worker ;)

Anyway, I don't know why people like having access to so much stuff from the lock screen. It completely defeats the purpose of a lock screen.

I turned off my notification center to see if it helps. Really i use it to see whos messaging me and if its important to take. To the people saying put my phone else where, i need my phone on persons all day.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I'm going to have to call BS here, because the way the screen is designed, only things that can conduct, such as your flesh, can activate the screen, and unless you have your phone pressed up against your skin or you're carrying materials that can conduct on the screen, that can't happen.

No, that's not true. Try placing your shirt over your screen and using your phone... let me know what happens ;)

It's very possible (and highly likely) that, since his pocket is very thin, the skin from his leg is causing screen presses.

----------

I turned off my notification center to see if it helps. Really i use it to see whos messaging me and if its important to take. To the people saying put my phone else where, i need my phone on persons all day.

Just to be clear, I meant the actual Notification Center pull-down itself. Not the text message notifications that appear on your lock screen when you get a message. I don't think those do anything when tapped anyway, do they? But from the Notification Center, it will take you to the message of course. Hope that works :D

Smokedoutstaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013

Why would i lie? Im wearing baggy shorts... Same shorts i wear everyday.

----------

And this was never an issue until i updated people!!! Ive had my iphone for a year never ran into this problem.

FourOhFour

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Don't wear tight pants and keep things that conduct out of your pocket.

The only way the screen can be active if is something conductive is on it. The OS can't change that behavior.

No, but by allowing you to swipe to unlock anywhere on the screen, the OS can make it easier for the phone to be unlocked by random objects. The entire point of the lock screen is so you don't have to worry about butt dialing. If we're just gonna say "don't keep conductive stuff near your phone", why bother having the lock screen at all?

If this turns out to be a more widespread issue, I'd expect the slide to unlock to be changed to be less sensitive... perhaps not reverting to the old icon at the bottom of the screen, but maybe require a straighter swipe.

Having said all that... in the mean time, don't put your phone in the same pocket as your keys or whatever is unlocking your phone.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

----------

And this was never an issue until i updated people!!! Ive had my iphone for a year never ran into this problem.

Then I have absolutely no idea how that is happening. Your phone must be defective then.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

----------

That's why I think it's the Notification Center. I don't think you could access that from the lock screen in iOS 6, but it's turned on by default in iOS 7. Also, it only takes a small flick to get the pull-down to expand, unlike the longer swipe that it takes to unlock the phone (which is why nothing ever happened to you with iOS 6). So while you're moving around, your leg hits the top of the screen just right and opens the notification pull-down, then taps the message, and goes to work. That's my guess, at least.

Smokedoutstaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
No, but by allowing you to swipe to unlock anywhere on the screen, the OS can make it easier for the phone to be unlocked by random objects. The entire point of the lock screen is so you don't have to worry about butt dialing. If we're just gonna say "don't keep conductive stuff near your phone", why bother having the lock screen at all?

If this turns out to be a more widespread issue, I'd expect the slide to unlock to be changed to be less sensitive... perhaps not reverting to the old icon at the bottom of the screen, but maybe require a straighter swipe.

Having said all that... in the mean time, don't put your phone in the same pocket as your keys or whatever is unlocking your phone.

My phone has its own dedicated pocket with nothing else in it.

FourOhFour

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
My phone has its own dedicated pocket with nothing else in it.

Hmm. Zipper? Rivets? Screen facing you or facing out? There really aren't that many things that the touchscreen registers as a touch... skin or something conductive (even through something non-conductive if it is thin enough).

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
same here, my phone's dialing numbers, replying to text, messing the camera etc. and couldn't find anything useful on the net.:(

Smokedoutstaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Hmm. Zipper? Rivets? Screen facing you or facing out? There really aren't that many things that the touchscreen registers as a touch... skin or something conductive (even through something non-conductive if it is thin enough).

Regular pocket, facing either or it does it

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I'm gonna debunk your BS call and tell you that mine conducts in my pocket all the time if I use Siri. Without activating Siri I have no issues, but as soon as I do activate Siri I notice Siri will cut off before I complete speaking because something in my pocket has caused it to detect a button press. It could be moisture due to humidity or something of that nature, but just calling what this guy is saying BS is....well....BS.

I also had to carry an Android for work for a bit. On a hot humid day out doing a photo shoot, Android in back pocket w/o a lock screen activated, called 911 with my butt multiple times before they started calling me back to see what was going on.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The bigger change in iOS 7 that might be behind this is that now to unlock the phone completely (without a passcode) or to get to the screen where you enter a passcode, you can slide the lock screen to the right pretty much anywhere.

Not only that, but you only have to slide over just about 1/4 of the screen area for it to get activated.

In previous iOS versions you only have a smallish area at the bottom where the slider button is to slide, and you had to slide it almost all the way to the other side to unlock, but in this version you can do it pretty much anywhere on the screen, and only have to move it just a little to the right to take effect, making it that much easier to do it (yourself or accidentally).

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
No, that's not true. Try placing your shirt over your screen and using your phone... let me know what happens ;)

It's very possible (and highly likely) that, since his pocket is very thin, the skin from his leg is causing screen presses.

That's why if you read what I said, you would have noticed I said "unless you have your phone pressed up against your skin or you're carrying materials that can conduct on the screen". :rolleyes:

I'm gonna debunk your BS call and tell you that mine conducts in my pocket all the time if I use Siri. Without activating Siri I have no issues, but as soon as I do activate Siri I notice Siri will cut off before I complete speaking because something in my pocket has caused it to detect a button press. It could be moisture due to humidity or something of that nature, but just calling what this guy is saying BS is....well....BS.

I also had to carry an Android for work for a bit. On a hot humid day out doing a photo shoot, Android in back pocket w/o a lock screen activated, called 911 with my butt multiple times before they started calling me back to see what was going on.

Chances are moisture could cause it, but the claim it's the fault of the OS is wrong. The OS can't affect the technology of the screen.

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
I haven't experienced this, BUT i can see the apple emergency keynote now. "There's nothing wrong, you're just holding it wrong" While a silent update happens a week after that solves the issue.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I also had this issue, only on iOS 7. So I think it's the new unlock mechanism. While cutting the grass on Tuesday, my phone in my pocket, locked, called 1 person, opened an email, and also opened Messages.app. This phone never did that on iOS 6 (iPhone 5) in the same shorts that I always wear cutting the grass. I turned on a pass code for the lock screen and it hasn't happened since. The slide to unlock is way too sensitive now. I filed a bug report after reading it happens to multiple people.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
TBH here, this same issue happened to me today, I was like wtf is going on?!? My phone is in my pocket doing all kinds of stuff. Never seen that on prior versions of iOS. And yes my phone was screen locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.